Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Best Rims? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258866)

lexington523 05-24-2011 10:20 AM

Best Rims?

Now that I have done my second autox event, I have realized that new tires are going to be necessary. I am racing on firestone touring tires currently and they are barely hanging on in the corners. I was considering what size rims would be best and I am trying to figure out which is more important; keeping unsprung weight down or getting a wider tire on the road? Currently I have the alloy 15x6 stock rims. According to what I can find, they weigh 16 pounds. That is actually pretty light. Would it be better to just put performance tires on the stock rims or is it better to gain a few pounds to get that extra inch of tire width? I would deffinately appreciate some opinions from people who have experience with this. Thank you

Mike_Mac 05-24-2011 11:26 AM

http://www.m1autosport.com/v4/images...rotawheels.htm

first one rota slipsteams 15x6.5" are 12lbs, 15x7" are 13lbs. i have 16's on my car and i love them.

lexington523 05-24-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Mac (Post 3682119)
http://www.m1autosport.com/v4/images...rotawheels.htm

first one rota slipsteams 15x6.5" are 12lbs, 15x7" are 13lbs. i have 16's on my car and i love them.

Interesting, so it is possible to lose weight and be wider at the same time. How much do these cost? My budget is fairly limited. Is there any particular reason that you went to 16" in stead of 15x7? Did you go larger to accomidate larger brakes or is there a performance reason?

Mike_Mac 05-24-2011 11:50 AM

to clear SVT brakes but i have heard the 15" slipsstream will clear. and i also got them with tires (50% left) BFG traction T/A's for $300 on the forums. new i think rims will run you around 500-600. but i never really looked at new prices. check the BST forums for what people are selling.

wrc_fan 05-24-2011 12:08 PM

New tires will be a big help, not only in improving a cars performance, but also in tire longevity. Even though performance summer tires wear faster, they have stiffer sidewalls and are design to run at higher temperatures. This will reduce chunking (often seen with OE touring tires) and tire corner wear from sidewall roll over.
Recently, grassroots motor sports did a test on this, and it was found that wheel weight had less of an impact when compared to having correctly sized tires for the wheel. I’m not saying that wheel weight doesn’t matter; I’m saying that impact/dollar is pretty low.
When it comes down to street tires, my research has led me to believe that you’ll get the best performance out of a tire sized correctly to the wheel width. Stock 15x6 will be best served with a 195 street tire.
Not sure what your budget or overall goals are here. Are you looking to get a separate set of wheels and tires, or just new tires? It may be that starting out you’ll want to fit a good performance tires to your OE alloys, and find a used set or steelie wheels to put on some snows or all seasons for the winter.

lexington523 05-24-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrc_fan (Post 3682171)
New tires will be a big help, not only in improving a cars performance, but also in tire longevity. Even though performance summer tires wear faster, they have stiffer sidewalls and are design to run at higher temperatures. This will reduce chunking (often seen with OE touring tires) and tire corner wear from sidewall roll over.
Recently, grassroots motor sports did a test on this, and it was found that wheel weight had less of an impact when compared to having correctly sized tires for the wheel. Iím not saying that wheel weight doesnít matter; Iím saying that impact/dollar is pretty low.
When it comes down to street tires, my research has led me to believe that youíll get the best performance out of a tire sized correctly to the wheel width. Stock 15x6 will be best served with a 195 street tire.
Not sure what your budget or overall goals are here. Are you looking to get a separate set of wheels and tires, or just new tires? It may be that starting out youíll want to fit a good performance tires to your OE alloys, and find a used set or steelie wheels to put on some snows or all seasons for the winter.

Right now I can spend ~$400 on it. However, I'm willing to wait and save up if the extra inch of width is worth it. That is what I am trying to figure out. I would like to have 2 sets of wheels because I am already seeing the "chunking" that you mention after only two events. I can't really afford to nuke my touring tires trying to make them race. Based on the advice so far, I'm leaning twords saving a bit more money and buying wider/lighter rims and using my 15x6 for my daily driving.

SVTF410 05-24-2011 07:40 PM

you also have to think about what class you want to run in. If you are currently in the stock class and want to remain there then the rim size must remain stock, and you can run as wide of tires as you can squeeze on the stock rims, and you can run any type of tire . if your in ST class the you can have any rim diameter you want but the width can't exceed 7.5", and your tires must have 140 tread wear or higher and no wider than a 225. i think you get the picture, basically find what class your running in or want to be running in based on current or future modifications and find out the regulations on tires and wheels. My suggestion if you only have 400 to play with is to just buy some good tires, a decent set of tires in 15" will run 400-500, and you get a lot more for your money with tires than you do rims. keep your eye out in the B-S-Tor on craigslist for some cheap stock rims. for the price of a decent set of light rims you can do alot of other modifications that will help a lot more than some light wheels

GodLovesUgly 05-24-2011 07:53 PM

imo you will go faster with better tires than lighter wheels. BUT you will also hide important newbie flaws. so i'm generally against getting super sticky tires at first. i say save for a really nice set up, and learn how to drive first.
but if you must spend money now, go for the tires on the stock wheels, it will make a bigger difference at this stage of your new hobby.

lexington523 05-24-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVTF410 (Post 3682649)
you also have to think about what class you want to run in. If you are currently in the stock class and want to remain there then the rim size must remain stock, and you can run as wide of tires as you can squeeze on the stock rims, and you can run any type of tire . if your in ST class the you can have any rim diameter you want but the width can't exceed 7.5", and your tires must have 140 tread wear or higher and no wider than a 225. i think you get the picture, basically find what class your running in or want to be running in based on current or future modifications and find out the regulations on tires and wheels. My suggestion if you only have 400 to play with is to just buy some good tires, a decent set of tires in 15" will run 400-500, and you get a lot more for your money with tires than you do rims. keep your eye out in the B-S-Tor on craigslist for some cheap stock rims. for the price of a decent set of light rims you can do alot of other modifications that will help a lot more than some light wheels

I am in STU class right now. I have already made some other modifications to the car before I started autocrossing. No matter what I need a second set of tires because I don't want to trash my touring tires which are nearly new. At this point I'm thinking of holding out for a good craigslist deal. If I am going to buy rims I want to try and get something that I will not need to replace again later.

wrc_fan 05-25-2011 07:26 AM

Not quite sure how you ended up in STU, unless its a local allowence.