Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2012 Ford Focus A/T shift hard only sometimes (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257630)

nekoashide 05-08-2011 05:21 PM

2012 Ford Focus A/T shift hard only sometimes
 
I picked up a 2012 yesterday and put about 150mi on it just driving around and having fun but i noticed that sometime when i have to floor it to merge onto the highway it it shifts pretty hard only sometime. That and when i accelerate from a stop the shifts are sometimes harder and sometimes softer.

I thought about asking this in general but i figured i would start here. Is anyone else experiencing problems? I know it's a dry clutch but i wanted to hear other peoples experience.

FordService 05-09-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekoashide (Post 3663511)
I picked up a 2012 yesterday and put about 150mi on it just driving around and having fun but i noticed that sometime when i have to floor it to merge onto the highway it it shifts pretty hard only sometime. That and when i accelerate from a stop the shifts are sometimes harder and sometimes softer.

I thought about asking this in general but i figured i would start here. Is anyone else experiencing problems? I know it's a dry clutch but i wanted to hear other peoples experience.

Hi nekoashide,

I'm sure you are already considering this, but I recommend that your vehicle be inspected by a Ford dealership to determine if your shifting is normal. With this being such a new vehicle you definitely want to make sure everything is functioning correctly. Bringing it to the dealer helps ensure that this concern is documented and corrected in the future. If you need any additional assistance, please let me know.

~Natasha

drostedrummer89 05-09-2011 04:56 PM

Just so you know- your not supposed to even be on the freeway, or heavy on the gas until the engine is broken in, around 1000 miles. The computer is probably trying to learn your driving habits.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

nekoashide 05-09-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drostedrummer89 (Post 3664862)
Just so you know- your not supposed to even be on the freeway, or heavy on the gas until the engine is broken in, around 1000 miles. The computer is probably trying to learn your driving habits.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

It's kind of impossible since i used my car for work. My 2010 got the same treatment and i traded it in at 68k after only having it 18 months and i never had any issues at all.

After driving it again today things are much more smoother so i think it is the computer learning my driving habits so hopefully by the end of the week things will be more normal.

NickR 05-09-2011 09:27 PM

That is a fallacy. The best way to break in a car is to drive it. Various speeds, including high RPMs. Babying it makes it more likely to burn oil in the future. Drive it normally.

kkspeed 05-10-2011 02:25 AM

I don't own an 2012, but remember reading an article about a test drive in a pre-production model where the tester stated that is shifted hard a few times and that the transmission software was still being finalized by the engineers prior to public release.


Quote:

Originally Posted by nekoashide (Post 3663511)
I picked up a 2012 yesterday and put about 150mi on it just driving around and having fun but i noticed that sometime when i have to floor it to merge onto the highway it it shifts pretty hard only sometime. That and when i accelerate from a stop the shifts are sometimes harder and sometimes softer.

I thought about asking this in general but i figured i would start here. Is anyone else experiencing problems? I know it's a dry clutch but i wanted to hear other peoples experience.


Vexorg 05-10-2011 12:47 PM

Interesting.... There may be a software update for it indeed. The dealer can tell you that. Humorously, I've not had shifting troubles on my cars, but I rarely floor it.... Never had to. Different cities, different driving styles.

nekoashide 05-10-2011 02:57 PM

Today was 100% better, either i learned to drive with the transmission or it learned to drive with me. Dallas has horrible traffic though and you can expect to merge at 70 mph in some places. People are very unforgiving here.

Vexorg 05-10-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekoashide (Post 3666118)
Today was 100% better, either i learned to drive with the transmission or it learned to drive with me. Dallas has horrible traffic though and you can expect to merge at 70 mph in some places. People are very unforgiving here.

Cool deal. if it was an old timer, I'd ask if the Trans filter and fluid were young.. and maybe suggest some "magic sauce" for it. Older trans sometimes benefit from a top shelf conditioner. I've got an old timer... still shifting gently from top to bottom and back. I keep up with the filter changes and fluid though. It's not too bad on that car... Its the trucks that are a pain.

MEMO TO FORD MOTOR: A drain plug on the transmission pan would be welcomed whole heartedly by DIY car guys everywhere.

tgmcneil 05-18-2011 09:06 AM

Irregular Shifting Auto.
 
I own a 2011 Focus Sedan with 10,000 miles on it and the transmission upshifts to overdrive are irregular. It tries to lock up the torque converter and then shift out and back again several times until it locks. The engine rpms jump up and down. Had dealer look at it 2 times and install a new valve body with no luck. Maybe time to trade after only 6 months of use. Help


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp