Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Wrench dash light (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257103)

johnkos 05-01-2011 10:58 PM

Wrench dash light
 
This happened to my wife a month ago and to me today. The car would be driving along just fine when all of a sudden it would lose power. It felt like it was missing on one or two cylinders and would slow down with out power. The wrench light would turn on.

The first time we did what the owners book said and turned the car off and called for a tow truck. The tow truck arrives, actually it was a flat bed carrier, and parked down hill from our car. I give the keys to the driver and the car starts right up and the wrench light was off. Wonderful. The dealer checks the car over, finds no problems, no codes. Test drives just fine. It's still under warranty so it cost me nothing but lost time.

Today it happened again after pulling away from a traffic light. Engine starts missing, No power. Wrench light is on. I turn the car off then restarted it. Once again, it is running fine and the light is off.

I'm a little worried about letting her drive it to work. She passes through some interesting parts of our wonderful city and they are not areas you would like to break down in.

Where do i go from here? The dealer said if there is no trouble code in the computer there isn't much they can do.

The car is a 2009 Focus SES.

Ziggy Cockburn 05-02-2011 03:54 PM

I had a similar issue with my 05 Explorer, the wrench light indicates a "limp mode" so it looses power and shifts bad ect.. What was triggering it on mine was that my air filter was not seated right in the airbox and when it would rain, water would get by filter and hit the maf, then it would throw the code. But once I restarted the car the light would be gone and we could never find any codes in the system.

If you can recall the weather conditions when this happened? was it raining? Check your air box make sure every thing is tight and in the right spot in and around your air box.

I'm not sure what else causes the car to go into Limp mode.. Could be bad fuel.. not sure Google it.

FordService 05-03-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnkos (Post 3655563)
This happened to my wife a month ago and to me today. The car would be driving along just fine when all of a sudden it would lose power. It felt like it was missing on one or two cylinders and would slow down with out power. The wrench light would turn on.

The first time we did what the owners book said and turned the car off and called for a tow truck. The tow truck arrives, actually it was a flat bed carrier, and parked down hill from our car. I give the keys to the driver and the car starts right up and the wrench light was off. Wonderful. The dealer checks the car over, finds no problems, no codes. Test drives just fine. It's still under warranty so it cost me nothing but lost time.

Today it happened again after pulling away from a traffic light. Engine starts missing, No power. Wrench light is on. I turn the car off then restarted it. Once again, it is running fine and the light is off.

I'm a little worried about letting her drive it to work. She passes through some interesting parts of our wonderful city and they are not areas you would like to break down in.

Where do i go from here? The dealer said if there is no trouble code in the computer there isn't much they can do.

The car is a 2009 Focus SES.

Hi johnkos,

This is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I recommend you bring it in to your dealer for diagnosis as well. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so that I can escalate this for you as needed.

Deysha

Ziggy Cockburn 05-03-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService (Post 3657218)
Hi johnkos,

This is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I recommend you bring it in to your dealer for diagnosis as well. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so that I can escalate this for you as needed.

Deysha

I'am sorry but I think people understand when a car is broken they can take it to the dealer. But people come here because they don't want to pay $100.00 just so they can be told whats wrong and what it will cost to fix. People come here to see if there is an simple answer to there question and maybe try to save some money before going down to the always friendly and helpful Ford service center.

Omg I made my self lol at that last line.

lyonsroar 05-03-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Cockburn (Post 3657337)
I'am sorry but I think people understand when a car is broken they can take it to the dealer. But people come here because they don't want to pay $100.00 just so they can be told whats wrong and what it will cost to fix. People come here to see if there is an simple answer to there question and maybe try to save some money before going down to the always friendly and helpful Ford service center.

Omg I made my self lol at that last line.

YES! I'm getting tired of the "Ford customer service" posts. What are they actually helping with?

FordService 05-03-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Cockburn (Post 3657337)
I'am sorry but I think people understand when a car is broken they can take it to the dealer. But people come here because they don't want to pay $100.00 just so they can be told whats wrong and what it will cost to fix. People come here to see if there is an simple answer to there question and maybe try to save some money before going down to the always friendly and helpful Ford service center.

Omg I made my self lol at that last line.

And I understand that. I normally get involved and escalate your cases so that Customer Service can use all the tools available to get the issue resolved. Also, this is how we help where we can.

Deysha

johnkos 05-03-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService (Post 3657218)
Hi johnkos,

This is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I recommend you bring it in to your dealer for diagnosis as well. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so that I can escalate this for you as needed.

Deysha

It was at the dealership the first time and they claimed nothing was wrong. Threw no code they could find. It is still under warranty but my time and aggravation isn't. I've owned 4 fords, 2 foci, 2 escorts and they 3 have had trans problems which were fixed under warranty. My 2002 focus went back 3 times before they got it right. I've only had one servive advisor at the dealership i trusted but unfortunatly he died. Sorry about the rambling but why can't they dig a little and get it right the first time?

a_2000_se 05-03-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Cockburn (Post 3657337)
I'am sorry but I think people understand when a car is broken they can take it to the dealer. But people come here because they don't want to pay $100.00 just so they can be told whats wrong and what it will cost to fix. People come here to see if there is an simple answer to there question and maybe try to save some money before going down to the always friendly and helpful Ford service center.

Omg I made my self lol at that last line.


Quote:

Originally Posted by lyonsroar (Post 3657340)
YES! I'm getting tired of the "Ford customer service" posts. What are they actually helping with?

Anyone else see this one coming like a freight train?

Guys they are trying to protect what they have left of 'branding' and 'credibility'. It will never be said but "Deysha" is probably a multitude of persons.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure the average... 'I want to turn the key and drive' types get all sorts of warm fuzzies from this PR campaign. - Not really the majority of people here though.

I've got over ten years of impeccable service/maintenance records on the wife's car - since new. Anyone wonder how Deysha feels about 8 years worth of SOHC SPI VIN 'P' engines that span over 3 distinct models? Hint - we already know the diagnosis.....

Deysha - that's a rhetorical question.

Don't pick on 'Ford' - they're trying to get back market share and confidence and trust and .......

PumkinSvt 05-03-2011 12:32 PM

....

Ziggy Cockburn 05-03-2011 12:55 PM

I just can't stand every time I try to have a conversation with a service person at Ford with whats wrong with my car, I get treated like I'm an idiot.


Also what is "Deysha" going to escalate? its not like I'm trying to upgrade my cell phone? I'm trying to get my car fixed. Also I've spoken to you people in the past and I found your customer service extremely unhelpful. The only thing you seemed concerned about is were I bought my car and my personal information for your own marketing research.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.