Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus Tuning Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Xcal3 Software on a Mac (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255694)

RXTurner21 04-14-2011 10:44 PM

Xcal3 Software on a Mac

Does anyone have a good solution for running the Xcal software on a Mac? I don't have access to a PC and don't want to purchase one just to tune. I am also trying to avoid paying anything. for example partitioning my hard drive and paying money for a copy of windows OS to install.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot

-Ryan

iminhell 04-15-2011 12:31 AM

Virtual Box or ... other one just slipped my mind, edit it in if I remember.

RXTurner21 04-15-2011 12:33 AM

Thanks. Would I just get that from Pirate bay or something similar and install it? or what all is involved? Sorry for the dumb questions.

newmission 04-15-2011 04:29 AM

This is a good question. I asked Tom about using a Mac and he didn't know about any available software yet. Was shocked this hasn't been an issue for him yet with the Mac revolution speeding up. I am SOULY Mac and never want to go back! I guess the only solution would be to install windows on my Mac eh? BOOO! lol

MacAttack 04-15-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newmission (Post 3635164)
This is a good question. I asked Tom about using a Mac and he didn't know about any available software yet. Was shocked this hasn't been an issue for him yet with the Mac revolution speeding up. I am SOULY Mac and never want to go back! I guess the only solution would be to install windows on my Mac eh? BOOO! lol

I got Win(fail)dows 7, and installed it on my old MacBook, just for this. I couldn't get the Xcal to work with VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro, so I figured I had to run it natively. Rather than waste hard drive space on my MacBook Pro with Windows, I used my old Mac, which I barely use, and has plenty of HD space that isn't going to get used otherwise.

And yes, I really think with the Mac growing in market share more rapidly than it has since it's induction, SCT should at least consider making a simple Mac application. I really hate Windows, and I find myself cursing under my breath at work all the time (Windows 7 on my work comp).

RXTurner21 04-15-2011 12:40 PM

What would I have to do to run windows on my macbook pro since I don't seem to have any other options

MacAttack 04-15-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RXTurner21 (Post 3635513)
What would I have to do to run windows on my macbook pro since I don't seem to have any other options

I tested VMWare Fusiona and BootCamp, and the only one that worked was running Windows natively using BootCamp.

What you'll need is a Windows disc. Launch the boot camp assistant, and follow the instructions.
You can find more help here: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

If you use an upgrade disc instead of the full version, you'll just have to do a lot more work to get things working. First, you'll have to copy the disc and make it bootable, and then you'll have to do a small registry hack to register it with Microsoft. It's just one line, and quite easy to do, so don't be intimidated. It's not illegal either, because people have to do this all the time if they prefer to wipe their hard drive before upgrading (when I upgrade Windows, I usually do this).
You can find a guide for that here:
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...-upgrade-media

"Method 2" is the one I used, and the quickest and easiest. I also had to make a copy of the disc, because the one I bought (legitimately through Microsoft) wasn't bootable. What a pain in the ass that was. If you have this problem, I'll try to track down where I found the solution.

If you have a bootable, retail version of Windows, using Boot camp is a breeze. If you go the cheap route and get a student version or upgrade version, installing windows (on any platform with a clean install) is a pain in the ass.

I had a hell of a time installing this. It's like Microsoft didn't have enough joy out of giving me headaches at work, they had to go and screw me over at home too. Still, got it all working, and those guides should make it a lot easier for you if you run into any snags.
I really hope SCT releases a Mac interface. They'll have to eventually, with the rising interest in Macs.

tukaniSVT 04-15-2011 01:40 PM

For software like this, Bootcamp is the better way to go.

On my friend's Mac, he wanted to keep his games from the windows side and the only way to make them work well and not skip was to use Bootcamp. I thought it was a great idea to have that as part of the OSX Leopard set. Which is great.

Now for those thinking putting Windows on a Mac will save you from Spam, Spyware and Viruses ... you are still open to it. Hell you are open to it on the Mac OS ... just they don't read the coding of the Mac OS so they don't do anything but take up space. But when they find the Windows coding they go active.

I also wished that SCT Created a Software for Mac. I have all macs at our home as well. So, I borrow my friend's Windows XP Dell that works great.

-Ray-

MacAttack 04-15-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tukaniSVT (Post 3635602)
For software like this, Bootcamp is the better way to go.

On my friend's Mac, he wanted to keep his games from the windows side and the only way to make them work well and not skip was to use Bootcamp. I thought it was a great idea to have that as part of the OSX Leopard set. Which is great.

Now for those thinking putting Windows on a Mac will save you from Spam, Spyware and Viruses ... you are still open to it. Hell you are open to it on the Mac OS ... just they don't read the coding of the Mac OS so they don't do anything but take up space. But when they find the Windows coding they go active.

I also wished that SCT Created a Software for Mac. I have all macs at our home as well. So, I borrow my friend's Windows XP Dell that works great.

-Ray-

Well, if you have the virus on your Mac partition, you're usually safe. I don't think Windows can't read the HTFS+ volume, meaning it will have no access to the virus. Now, if the virus is on the Windows partition, yes, you will have trouble when you boot up.

spc_fruit 04-17-2011 02:42 AM

I have an old Ibook G4 - so no bootcamp option.

what about installing Virtual PC and running windows - which i have.

dont particuarly want to run windows on my 27" imac next to the car - would be awkward.