Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brakes, Suspension & Chassis (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Need Stiffer Suspension for AutoX (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254495)

tukaniSVT 03-31-2011 12:43 AM

Need Stiffer Suspension for AutoX

I just need some help deciding ... and a bit more info as well.

Since, my knowledge of suspension is okay ... I need more advice on what to do.

Well, to start, I have the Full Eibach Pro-Kit Plus, sways and all.

But after a few runs with my new tire setup, Hankook RS3 225/50R16s, I get a bit of rub on the fast hard transitions.

I love the tires, just don't want to kill them on rubs here and there.

So ... I was told to get stiffer suspension.

First: Does anyone know the Spring Rate of the Eibach Pro Springs? Searched all over and couldn't find that info.

Second: Do I go looking for Stiffer Springs or Better Struts?

I ask that question, because right now ... my cash flow for this is not up there, since I only recently bought new wheels and tires and at the moment don't want to break the bank with another 1200+ buy.

But am willing to battle 500-600.

So ... the Koni-Yellows are on sale on TireRack right now ... but I heard with the soft Eibachs, they would blow soon after install and Hard use of AutoX.

So, then do I get the stiffer suspension ... like the H&R Race Springs. I hear those are the best ... Then later get the struts?

Trying to get some decisions before committing to buy at the beginning of the summer.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

-Ray-

dirtbrown 03-31-2011 01:01 AM

i really think your car is just too low for those tires....i dont think a stiffer spring thats just as low is gonna stop your problem....(ive watched the video you posted on a previous thread of the tire rub) maybe just run these tires till there junk and go back to 225/45 or 205/50

tukaniSVT 03-31-2011 09:06 AM

^^ I had a feeling someone was going to tell me that ... err

Do you think rolling the fenders more will help with the issue some though?

-Ray-

DEMENTED SVTF 03-31-2011 09:29 AM

That is a beefy tire on a softer spring. The 215/45/16 falkens grip awsome for me with the h&r race springs. I think the race springs $200 and a little rolling should do it but your running a 50 series.

wrc_fan 03-31-2011 09:31 AM

The eibach kit just isn't stiff enough for the amount it drops you.

SVT:
F: 129 lb/in
R: 157 lb/in

Eibach Pro: 1.5”
F: 137 lb/in
R: 171 lb/in

H&R Race, do it :D

tukaniSVT 03-31-2011 09:47 AM

How far does the H&R Race drop you and what's their spring rate ... thanks for the input so far guys.

If the drop is even more ... won't that make it worst?

-Ray-

wrc_fan 03-31-2011 10:26 AM

Spring rate more than doubles for H&R race.
F: 325 lb/in ~2 inch drop
R: 375 lb/in ~1.7 inch drop

Drop will vary car to car of course. I’m running RS-3’s 225/45/15 on a 15x7.5 wheel. Plus I have LCR camber plates, which effectively are a spacer on top of the spring. So I really have no chance to rub on my set up. 225/50/15 kumho V710's didn't rub on on this set up either.

DEMENTED SVTF 03-31-2011 11:00 AM

I use the h&r race for my daily lol I love them.

Geezer 03-31-2011 12:31 PM

The Koni Sport (yellows) and the H&R Race springs are possibly one of the most popular autocross/DD combo's for the Focus as well as lots of other cars readily available. It's almost like these two competing companies worked hand in hand to develop this outstanding combo.

mellephants 03-31-2011 01:40 PM

This is, in my extremely biased opinion, the ONLY reasonable upgrade path for autocrossing an SVT Focus. The only ordering change I would understand is flipping the r-comps and springs. Other than that, if your goals are to be competitive at autocross, I think you are wasting time and money if you do these out of order.
  1. [HS] stock SVT springs with Koni Yellow adjustable dampers
  2. [HS] good aggressive alignment: max front negative camber without adjustable plates, minimum possible rear camber, 0" front toe, 1/16" rear toe in
  3. [ST] even more aggressive alignment: -2.5 front negative camber via adjustable plates
  4. [ST] 15" wheels (you can stick with R-S3, but in 225/45-15)
  5. [ST] High-flow catalytic converter
  6. [ST] Polyurethane sway bar bushings
  7. [ST] Polyurethane motor mount
  8. [STX] Torsen T2 differential
  9. [ST,STX] H&R Race springs, or other springs with similar height and rate
  10. [FSP] Rcomps, probably Hankook z214 c71 225/45-15
  11. [FSP] Whatever else you feel like doing under SP rules... cat delete, aluminum flywheel, aftermarket clutch, larger TB, PCV delete, miscellaneous polyurethane bushings, etc...