Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   2 easy cookies. (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25134)

yellowzx3R 09-16-2004 02:56 PM

2 easy cookies.

Well this happened friday, I was coming home from college (Palm Desert CA). I was driving with my friend, I was driving in a three lane street and i just passed all the other vehicles, i was still doing 60 mph in a 55 mph zonebut not faster than that. Well i passed all the vehicles and then this beat up 90's Thunderbird steps on it ,I did not do anything then we stop in a red light. Light turns green and we both go for it first gear and he is like 3 cars behind, 2nd gear i'm still pulling then he shuts it down and turned into a street, I thought Thunderbirds were faster because of the monstrous 4.6L V8 engine they have and I say this because last time I beat a 90's Supercharged thunderbirds and my car is stock.

Then later that afternoon I was drivin on the freeway and i was going speed limit 65 mph, then this late 2000 ans something Eclipse GS and he tried to keep with me I just downshifted to 3rd gear and he was, well, pretty far after that he did not wanted to catch up with me eventhough i was waiting for him, well this are the kills I've done for the moment. peace.

GCubes 09-16-2004 03:33 PM

Yeah... I saw a 98-99 Firebird V8 against a stock Elantra not long ago at the drag strip. The Firebird slowly pulled away at about 40MPH to win with a disappointing 15 seconds. And they repeated that sad show two other times with the same result.
So I imagine with something like an old Thunderbird, you would be able to pull away easily.

It also all depends on the driver I guess.

xgambit 09-16-2004 09:55 PM

was it one of these?

1995 Ford Thunderbird SC 7.0 0-60mph 15.2 1/4
1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 7.9 0-60mph 15.8 1/4

tunedfocuzx3 09-17-2004 01:43 AM

umm..i dont think the eclipse was tryin to race you, since you were only goin 65 on the freeway. did you race the whole freeway then, since they all were trying to "keep up" to your blistering 65mph?

bowersdaazian 09-17-2004 01:50 AM

The mid-90's thunderbirds are not fast at all. Even though they may have the SC or V8, the auto, de-tuned Stang engine, and heafty weight makes for a slow boat. As for the Eclipse, yeah he wasnt racing.

Quote:

Originally posted by GCubes
Yeah... I saw a 98-99 Firebird V8 against a stock Elantra not long ago at the drag strip. The Firebird slowly pulled away at about 40MPH to win with a disappointing 15 seconds. And they repeated that sad show two other times with the same result.
So I imagine with something like an old Thunderbird, you would be able to pull away easily.

It also all depends on the driver I guess.

I dont think a V8 firebird could ever run that slow, unless he mis-shifted 3 times down the strip. late 90's firebirds could run mid-high 13's, stock. Now a V6 firebird can run that slow with a bad driver, but not a V8, the mess up rate to get a 15 sec. 1/4 is too much.

GCubes 09-17-2004 12:06 PM

It would make more sense if it had been a V6. It had the wheels and the hood that you find on the V8 version. And the sound of the engine was V8 style.
But yes, certainly a V6 modified to look like a V8.

lildisco 09-17-2004 12:45 PM

Quote:

I thought Thunderbirds were faster because of the monstrous 4.6L V8 engine they have and I say this because last time I beat a 90's Supercharged thunderbirds and my car is stock.
I don't if that guy was racing you or not or maybe he was an auto. My friend had a 89 Thunderbird SC manual and he could whoop my butt any day of the week. He just had a CAI and an exhaust and ran a 15.3. He but a smaller pully on his supercharger and ran 15.1 then he changed out his rear-end and ran a 14.9. My car runs in the high 16's and it's pretty much stock. I believe that guy wasn't racing you or had an auto. There's no way a stock ZX3 could be a SC Thunderbird. And in 94 they put a different SC on them and supposively made them better.

bacc231 09-19-2004 01:15 PM

my gf has a 94 t bird auto 4.6 its kinda quick , ive beaten some civics and she tries to race anything next to her at anylight at all

yellowzx3R 09-20-2004 01:58 PM

I definitely know the times for those Thunderbirds and I know that if they would be in the condition they were when new they would beat me, but they're really old and they stayed behind. The Eclipse could not do much because I went from 65 all the way to 100 MPH and he was a bit behind and yes he was steeping on it because at first I was running with my A/C full blast and I could not catch up, but then I turned it off and downshifted into fourth and he was killed. I waited for him but he did not want to catch me anymore.

SVTJerbo 09-20-2004 06:50 PM

in the first post you said "i downshifted to third and he was pretty well,far" but then you jsut said you didnt pass him until you shifted to 4th[paranoid] and then i dont think he woulda been pretty far back you probably woulda slowly walked...