Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Fatboy Does Couch to 5K (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250174)

Joshuasvt 02-07-2011 08:42 PM

Fatboy Does Couch to 5K

I am psyched about this new forum!!!

Long story short I was in the ARMY for 10 years 1 month and 17 days before being medically retired. I got blown up one too many times in Iraq. Anyways during my time in I slowly started to enjoy running. So when I got out I stopped and now a year and a half later I have went from 180 to 220. My daughter says my "boobies are getting big like moms!"

So today I started "Couch to 5K". It's in the apple app store. Over a 9 week span the app slowly trains you to run 5k. Today was my first go at it and I learned two things:
1- I have gone way too long without running
2- On Wednesday I am bringing a pack of Twinkies and a Mt. Dew to the gym [strongman]

Since I don't have anywhere else to "brag" about my accomplishments I hope y'all don't mind me updating here. Also if you guys have gave this a go let me know how it turned out for ya.

Cheers!
DAY 2
Didn't get to go Wednesday, but made up for it today. I am supposed to run on Mon Wed and Fri for 9 weeks. Anyways today seemed to fly by and running and breathing was a lot easier!

BlueSEsvt 02-07-2011 09:08 PM

I havent tried this before and im more of a bodybuilding type guy but I have always wanted to try at least a 5k. Maybe i will check this out and I will keep up on your log. good luck

Duffman355 02-07-2011 09:37 PM

haha, 2 things I hate, running and the iphone. Good luck though.

Joshuasvt 02-07-2011 11:51 PM

@ blueboi-Thanks. The app is fairly easy on you. I have looked through the first 2 weeks and they make it really easy to start out.

@ duffman-I don't like the iPhone either. I rock the Android OS. The VA gave me a 4th gen iPod Touch because my brain don't work and I forget things thanks to our friendly neighborhood dirka dirka speaking friends who tried to blow me up. I used to HATE to run but by my 3rd year in the ARMY it kind of grew on me. GREAT STRESS RELIEVER. I now rate it right below sex and Effexor!

eazyrider_tim 02-08-2011 09:58 AM

Glad you made it back and I will keep checking on this.

ElectricAL 02-08-2011 03:36 PM

Do it, man!

I used to LOVE runnin' but I kind of hung it up... right now (in winter) I go X-C skiing. In the summer, I mostly bike and blade.

Do yourself a favor though, ditch the Twinkies and Mt. Dew. In the end, junk food is just counter-productive to ANY fitness goals. Feed yourself the right foods and you'll bounce back from workouts (and see better results) a whole lot faster.

Good luck!

edingeek 02-08-2011 05:25 PM

Good luck. I hate running :D I only ran my first few years in the military, and then I was a proud 3 mile club member... I ran a total of 3 miles per year, lol.

Good you made it back though! I was on a carrier (JFK) in 2004 for the onslaught and relatively safe, and then in the desert in 08-09 as a contractor and most of the action was over by then.

Joshuasvt 02-08-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyrider_tim (Post 3549431)
Glad you made it back and I will keep checking on this.

Thanks man. BTW I grew up in Lancaster...Just south of Dallas. Actually I will be driving down there to visit the family next month!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricAL (Post 3549826)
Do it, man!

I used to LOVE runnin' but I kind of hung it up... right now (in winter) I go X-C skiing. In the summer, I mostly bike and blade.

Do yourself a favor though, ditch the Twinkies and Mt. Dew. In the end, junk food is just counter-productive to ANY fitness goals. Feed yourself the right foods and you'll bounce back from workouts (and see better results) a whole lot faster.

Good luck!

I know how you feel. I loved it. The docs told me I wouldn't be able to run again but screw that I got tired of watching my gut grow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by edingeek (Post 3549970)
Good luck. I hate running :D I only ran my first few years in the military, and then I was a proud 3 mile club member... I ran a total of 3 miles per year, lol.

Good you made it back though! I was on a carrier (JFK) in 2004 for the onslaught and relatively safe, and then in the desert in 08-09 as a contractor and most of the action was over by then.

3-Mile club...love it!

norcalfocus01 02-09-2011 08:25 PM

I ran cross country in High School and loved it. But now 11 years later, I can't stand running. I prefer a bike.