Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   soo, i need some good tires..... (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248738)

lildude1989 01-19-2011 10:52 PM

soo, i need some good tires.....

I wanna do summers only, cuz all season performance does nothing.... i am riding on bf goodrich super sports, and they make autox shit. so i figure maybe if i get a good wheel and tire combo, i might have a chance at placing?

any suggestions? i just need to find a place to store em...

eliaslincoln 01-19-2011 11:04 PM

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248519

^^start there we talked about tires 2 days ago. then just ask a question. us autocrossers hang out in there.

BigRed03 01-20-2011 10:20 AM

s.drives (yokohama) are prolly my next set

GodLovesUgly 01-20-2011 10:31 AM

why did you post this in here?
RS3s, XS, StarSpecs. those will do you fine for autocross.

tukaniSVT 01-20-2011 04:25 PM

** Moved to AutoCross Section**

Probably just didn't know where to post his question.

Yeah ... there are alot of good tires out there.

I just bought some Hankook R-S3s ... looking forward to using them.

I have ran the Kumho AST, ASX and SPT ... okay ... but not good because Kumho likes to be heated up ... your first 2 runs will stink.

I currently run the S.Drives ... And they do run pretty well, but still not enough grip. I also ate through them in the last regional run.

The ones I was debating on before going for the Hankook R-S3, (like GodLovesUgly mentioned) were also the Dunlap Star Z1 Spec and Kumho Xs's .... But so far all of the reviews and FF peeps majority have voted the Hankook R-S3s ...

Good luck finding the right tire for you.

-Ray-

lildude1989 01-20-2011 11:23 PM

well, i don't think heat will be a problem. just cuz i do not have the space to change tires every event, so i will have em on all summer.... if that makes the decision any easier...

sorry about the post, i was gonna put it in tires, but i figured that since i do drive an svt it would fly in here.... i have yet to remember there is an autocross section here... lol.

lildude1989 01-22-2011 09:40 AM

so i could get em, they are just 10mm wider, right?

GodLovesUgly 01-22-2011 10:27 AM

have you autocrossed before?
the only reason i ask is because i feel a new autocrosser should run whatever he has on the car currently. especially if they are all seasons or a lower end summer tire. i feel this helps them get control of their car first. learn its limits. then once you put a sticky tire on, you'll feel like super man!
i was told by a DP national champ that sticky tires hide flaws in bad drivers.

tukaniSVT 01-22-2011 12:00 PM

Then you do the whole learning your car thing all over again ... and add even more fun.

Like with me going with these new tires ... which I will probably drive around the neighborhood then go to the school's empty parking lot (Sundays) and drive around to get a feel of them.

-Ray-

CGEO30 01-22-2011 02:56 PM

Race versus street tires

Hello All. A new member making his first post.....ya hooooo. I've been reading the info on tires, which is cool because I'm in the market for some autoX tires. I drive an 01 ZX3 in HS. It seems like most of the tire recommendations are for a street tire instead of and actual race tire. Is this based driving to & from the track on what you race?? This year (my second yr) I am outfitting myself with a sml autox trailer so I can change to track tires at each event. I am also planning on staying in the HS class, so I can run a race or street tire. With that in mind, what is everyones recomendation for tire choices?? The Hoosier A6 or the Kumho Ecsta V710's seem like a good fit. In my area, they generally will run a street tire class to even out the compition due to tires so a tire that meets the street tire requirments (> or = 140) would be nice if it has really good grip. That way I coulod compete in eather HS ot HS street. The two tires I listed above are soly race i.e. max grip = potentialy the best lap times. If I chose to get a tire that lets me race in the HS street tire class, then neither of these would do. Given these facts, which race tire AND which street tire do you recommend for someone that will use the tires ONLY at the track :)