Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   starting problems (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246403)

steve113 12-15-2010 12:50 PM

starting problems
 
Hi i am new to focus fanatics and need help
I own a mk1 ford focus 1.8 zetec petrol T reg 1999 when the car as been standing overnight or trough the day when i am at work i go for start the car and wont start first time unless i press the accelerator pedal and once started it will start first time after that. I have changed spark plugs , ht leads , coil pack , fuel filter, and air filter and cleaned out the throttle body and also had car plugged in diagnostics but no faults found or stored in memory . Any ideas cheers [dunno]

iroc34 12-15-2010 02:40 PM

OK if I am understanding you correctly. The engine is cranking over but wont start. Then after you hit the gas pedal it will start right up, and every time after that. Try this. The first time you go to start , turn the key to on, not crank position, and listen for the fuel pump, ( a humming or whining sound) should last a couple of seconds. It pumps up fuel pressure. Sound like you are losing your prime. silly question but is the fuel filter pointing in the correct direction. It will have an arrow on it...

spayne13 12-15-2010 08:27 PM

Have you cleaned the idle air control valve as well? This valve is a bypass around the throttle body, and can accumulate gunk and stick in the wrong position, causing idle and/or starting problems. The fact that depressing the gas pedal helps overcome the starting problem indicates this valve may be causing issues. Does the car idle OK, or does it have idle issues?

steve113 12-16-2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iroc34 (Post 3491301)
OK if I am understanding you correctly. The engine is cranking over but wont start. Then after you hit the gas pedal it will start right up, and every time after that. Try this. The first time you go to start , turn the key to on, not crank position, and listen for the fuel pump, ( a humming or whining sound) should last a couple of seconds. It pumps up fuel pressure. Sound like you are losing your prime. silly question but is the fuel filter pointing in the correct direction. It will have an arrow on it...

Hi yes fuel filter is pointing right way as i did all these changes as having the problem since we noticed when changing cam belt that fuel was leaking from the pipe with the chrome circle regulator attached to fuel pipes( under the bonnet near cam belt side) so i replaced the pipe with regulator on but stopped fuel leak but caused the starting problem so i swapped back to original faulty pipe and chrome circle regulator but still have problem . checked no fuel leaks cant hear any vacuum leaks

steve113 12-16-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spayne13 (Post 3491703)
Have you cleaned the idle air control valve as well? This valve is a bypass around the throttle body, and can accumulate gunk and stick in the wrong position, causing idle and/or starting problems. The fact that depressing the gas pedal helps overcome the starting problem indicates this valve may be causing issues. Does the car idle OK, or does it have idle issues?

Hi no i have not cleaned idle air control valve were is this and whats best to clean it with would carb cleaner be any good .car idles ok when warm but when cold and coming to a junction and i dip the clutch the revs go up to 2 rpm and holds for a few seconds before dropping back down to normal but only when cold first 5 minutes of driving

madisonHQ 12-16-2010 08:56 AM

I have the same problem sometimes, at times it will start right up but after a cold night tapping the accelerator is needed to give the car a push into start heaven !!! should be a minor issue... G L

iroc34 12-16-2010 09:15 AM

The IAC ( idle air circuit or control) valve is under the intake manifold. You can remove it and clean it with carb and choke cleaner. Easiest way is from under neath the car. Jack the front end up and put on Jack stands. If I remember there are two 10 mm bolts holding it to the intake. And you can reuse the gasket again if you are careful. But it would be good insurance to get a spare. Before you disable the car. It wont run with the iac out..

steve113 12-16-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iroc34 (Post 3492167)
The IAC ( idle air circuit or control) valve is under the intake manifold. You can remove it and clean it with carb and choke cleaner. Easiest way is from under neath the car. Jack the front end up and put on Jack stands. If I remember there are two 10 mm bolts holding it to the intake. And you can reuse the gasket again if you are careful. But it would be good insurance to get a spare. Before you disable the car. It wont run with the iac out..

I have noticed a breather pipe seems to be all flat squashed and perished the one back of inlet manifold would that have anything do with it ?

moesco 12-16-2010 03:19 PM

anyone had trouble with there ignition of a ford focus, 1.8 LX. when i try to start my car, it cuts out and i put my foot on the gas pedal when starting ignition its tick along but i took my foot away from gas pedal car cuts out. i try give a bit of gas still wont start and few hours later i try again, start ignition with my foot pedal on the gas its fine and give couple of day car playing up again.I have replace, sparks plugs including leads, oil filter, air and drain oil and replace it
please help

steve113 12-16-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moesco (Post 3492584)
anyone had trouble with there ignition of a ford focus, 1.8 LX. when i try to start my car, it cuts out and i put my foot on the gas pedal when starting ignition its tick along but i took my foot away from gas pedal car cuts out. i try give a bit of gas still wont start and few hours later i try again, start ignition with my foot pedal on the gas its fine and give couple of day car playing up again.I have replace, sparks plugs including leads, oil filter, air and drain oil and replace it
please help

i have same car and very similar problems with my car but cant get to the bottom of it i will let u know if i do and if u find out please let me know cheers


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp