Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus Tuning Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   return fuel system options? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244594)

700whpfocus 11-16-2010 03:56 PM

return fuel system options?

I was looking at the mustang forums............i was wondering if anyone has tried this.

The new Aeromotive Billet Digital FMU is a fully adjustable, scalable electronic FMU designed specifically for returnless fuel systems. The Aeromotive FMU senses manifold pressure and automatically provides the fuel pressure that you dial in, maintaining proper air fuel levels at all operating conditions. When used in conjunction with an external fuel pump, the Aeromotive Billet Digital FMU will
allow a supplemental pump (sold separately) to provide the proper volume thereby increasing
the system pressure.
The Digital FMU is scalable and completely adjustable to provide increased fuel pressure levels
at any boost.
The unique capability of the digital FMU, unlike traditional FMUs, is the ability to provide “any”
fuel curve throughout the power range.
The FMU features LEDs that are tied to a scalable rotary knob. This allows you to create a fuel
pressure curve that corresponds to your boost curve.
The housing of the controller is made out of Billet 6061-T651 aircraft aluminum alloy and is
finished with a bright dip red anodize.

The new Aeromotive Billet Digital FMU is a fully adjustable, scalable electronic FMU designed specifically for returnless fuel systems. The Aeromotive FMU senses manifold pressure and automatically provides the fuel pressure that you dial in, maintaining proper air fuel levels at all operating conditions.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 116KB.

1turbofocus 11-16-2010 05:01 PM

You will be better off doing a fuel cell and an external fuel pump unless your going for a dyno queen or strictly drag car

Tom

forcedfocus 11-16-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1turbofocus (Post 3466060)
You will be better off doing a fuel cell and an external fuel pump unless your going for a dyno queen or strictly drag car

Tom

A fuel cell wont necessarily cure all fuel starvation problems either. You still have fuel slosh which can easily uncover the pickup in high g cornering and braking once fuel levels get down to 1/4 tank. The only real way to run the tank dry is to do a surge tank, which is very complicated and expensive. And who the [:)][:)][:)][:)] wants to put a fuel cell in their hatch anyway. Technically to run at any kind of track you MUST HAVE a firewall and roll cage built around the fuel cell to be able to run.

Instead of doing all that you could just modify the stock tank to accept whatever kind of pump or pumps you want and keep the tank above 1/4 tank at all times.

700whpfocus 11-16-2010 10:13 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

700whpfocus 11-16-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1turbofocus (Post 3466060)

Tom

ould it work? has anyone used it before on a focus?

Turbo Turtle 11-17-2010 01:35 AM

would what work. the fuel cell and external pump? yeah that is what i used on mine. check out the stickies in forced induction.

i never had a prob once i installed the fuel cell. i could throw the car as much as i wanted with no problems and the a1000 will let you know if it runs out of fuel trust me. never happened..

1turbofocus 11-17-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forcedfocus (Post 3466174)
A fuel cell wont necessarily cure all fuel starvation problems either. You still have fuel slosh which can easily uncover the pickup in high g cornering and braking once fuel levels get down to 1/4 tank. The only real way to run the tank dry is to do a surge tank, which is very complicated and expensive. And who the [:)][:)][:)][:)] wants to put a fuel cell in their hatch anyway. Technically to run at any kind of track you MUST HAVE a firewall and roll cage built around the fuel cell to be able to run.

Instead of doing all that you could just modify the stock tank to accept whatever kind of pump or pumps you want and keep the tank above 1/4 tank at all times.

I am guessing you have tested all this and in the end of you installing a fuel cell found this to be the case , as well as you tested the adding pumps to the stock take and found that they worked under all conditions ?

My testing didnt find that to be the case , I did a well cell in a few cars and found that I could run the cell down to about the last 2 gallons and still not starve the fuel system , I have done the larger fuel pumps and starved the system at half a tank on a hard right hand turn on the interstate making about 380hp

If your going straight the added pumps will work , if your actually going to be using the car to daily drive and play with some tracks to then add a fuel cell and get rid of any issues that will cause you to loose an engine

Tom

700whpfocus 11-18-2010 01:45 AM

if it works on mustangs........why can't we make it work for our cars?

Turbo Turtle 11-18-2010 02:03 AM

i believe the main problem is tank design. have you taken the tank down and looked at it? the thing is only 8" deep. it i very wide and very shallow. once the fuel level gets low enough there is just to much room for the fuel to move and it doesnt take a lot of movement to get the level down where it becomes a problem. that is why it isnt a problem at all to make the power on a dyno but once you get it on the street or a coarse and beat on it that is where the problem is.

1turbofocus 11-18-2010 09:47 AM

Exactly , on a dyno its fine , going straight and kicking it now and then its fine , drag strip and going straight its fine , go into a turn and get on it a little and you will starve the pump , go straight and get on it with less then half tank and you could starve the pump

Tom