Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Vibration in my 2003 ZTW (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243043)

kkspeed 10-25-2010 05:58 PM

Vibration in my 2003 ZTW

Like other members, I'm experiencing weird vibrations in my 2003 ZTW / Auto with 66K.

1. Vibration after cold start-up.

2. Vibration when turning left after cold start-up

3. Part-Throttle vibration when warm

4. No CEL's

I changed the following:
1. Passenger's side motor mount (OEM Ford Part).
2. DFTP Sensor
3. Plugs (Motorcraft Copper w/.050 Gap)
4. Factory plug wires
5. Coil Pack
6. Both O2 Sensors (Bosch)

I'm frustrated. I like my ZTW and it runs fine when operating normally, but this vibration is driving me crazy.

iroc34 10-25-2010 07:47 PM

Posted via FF Mobile

Did you check the other 2 mounts ?. Also make sure that the engine is aligned
Properly. Try moving the pass side mount fwd or backwards. To alleviate the vibrating.

spiller 10-25-2010 09:34 PM

I fixed my similar symptoms with just the RH mount, but research did show the dog-bone (bottom or rear mount) to also be an issue. Also had found a few reports of issues with new RH mounts. Pull off cover of mount and feel the top of the rubber bellow. I believe that it should still be firm.
I coupled my RH mount with a timing belt change, and plan on the dog-bone next month with changing the struts. I have the steering wheel shimmy and can bounce the front left fender.

viney266 10-26-2010 03:05 AM

^^^ Yes, I have had problems with the inner fender liners rubbing as well...

whynotthinkwhynot 10-26-2010 08:24 AM

Bosch!! NO. But should be ok anyway.

DPFE- it usually causes a miss in the engine, as well as at least a misfire code. This is what makes the determination to open the EGR valve.

As far as plug wires go, I recommend the closest national chain store with lifetime warranty plug wires. That way you can change them any time you want- or have any related problem- without costing any more money. We don't really benefit a lot from expensive plug wires- not like a Porsche 911, where you should buy the $900 plug wires.

I digress.
We generally recommend to replace all motor mounts at the same time for this reason after it's been determined that motor mounts are the cause. You've been throwing money at your engine like it has a running problem- does it?

arlenn 10-26-2010 09:32 AM

how should that bubble on the engine mount feel? firm, or squshy? I have heard both now. Mine is swishy, but is not empty as the dome does not collapse when poked with a finger.

03FocusZX3 10-26-2010 09:52 AM

Posted via FF Mobile well my bad pass. Side motor mount felt firm and the new one felt squishy, if that helps lol...

spiller 10-26-2010 10:08 AM

Your RH sounds good. You need to inspect the dog-bone and the transmission mount. The increased vibration in RH turns...should be loading up the left side mount (transmission mount.)

Its way too early as far as mileage goes, but if you get past the remaining motor mounts and still have the vibration I would be checking cam timing. Checking it requires the timing pin tool and removal of the valve cover (use a new gasket when putting back on.) There was another FF who indicated when he changed his, he discovered that cam-timing was off (way off), but had no CEL. When I did mine, cam timing was off just enough I wasn't going to set the cam timing tool without unbolting the cam gears. Of course that's part of the procedure.
Since I did both belt and RH motor mount at the same time, I can't say that the vibration was solely from the motor mount failure.

Were there any other reasons you changed those ignition components?

kkspeed 10-26-2010 07:37 PM

The weird thing about my vibration issue is that it is intermittent. Sometimes it goes away when the engine warm and runs real smooth. That is why I thought it was in the EGR system.

Secondly, the engine idles differently when the heater is set to defrost with the heat on.
I suspect the AC turns on automatically when the defroster is turned on to prevent the windows from fogging up.

kkspeed 10-26-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iroc34 (Post 3446609)
Posted via FF Mobile

Did you check the other 2 mounts ?. Also make sure that the engine is aligned
Properly. Try moving the pass side mount fwd or backwards. To alleviate the vibrating.

How do I check that the engine is aligned correctly?