Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   How To: EASILY remove Nite Shades (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240385)

..:: sleestak ::.. 09-16-2010 12:43 PM

How To: EASILY remove Nite Shades

So, I ended up Nite Shading my tails and they turned out a bit too dark for my liking. I had applied a few layers of clear over them as well, so I am dealing with multiple layers here. After going over, under, and around the intarwebs, I had decided the first route to take was to buy some plastic safe graffiti remover.

I bought Goof Off (not Goo Gone) and Motsenbocker's Lift Off - They definitely make the clear turn gooey, but it still seemed like too much of a chore. Mind you, I was impatient - so I only spent about 5 minutes with the sprays, lol. But I decided it would be more hassle than I cared for and I REFUSED TO SAND!!

So then .... I grabbed a new rag and a good ol' fashioned can of lawn mower gas. I laid the tail light down and poured the gas over an area and then on the rag and just laid into it a bit ... rubbing with a bit of pressure, nothing ridiculous, and it just came right off. I had the tail light back to it's original state, clear lense, not melted - in a matter of minutes. I'll be damned.

So there you have it. Screw buying anything.

DO NOT USE: Goof Off, Laquer thinner, graffiti remover, oven cleaner, alcohol (accept maybe at the end to do a final clean and remove residue), sand paper << that's just dumb.

DO USE: Gas and a rag.

Stay tuned for pics and/or video. Still have another light to strip.

FoFo10 09-16-2010 12:49 PM

ha way to keep it nice and simple. thanks for the info buddy

WickedXDX 09-16-2010 01:38 PM

It's funny how old methods like that never die. If it still works then keep doing it!

FuhFuh Focus 09-16-2010 04:38 PM

Lol nice, I just had to remove niteshades from one of my lights a few weeks ago before I resprayed it.

Acetone and a rag worked fine for me.

..:: sleestak ::.. 09-16-2010 06:04 PM

The acetone didn't effect the plastic lens? I hear people mention acetone, but any experience I have had with that + plastic has = disaster.

Here's my cheesey phone vid, showing how easily it comes off and the end result.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Mr.Bergner 09-16-2010 06:11 PM

Wow that's a good trick. I ended up having to spend a weekend just sanding away. Took a whole weekend because my hands would cramp up...lol.

Thanks for sharing!

FuhFuh Focus 09-16-2010 07:24 PM

Yeah ive heard the same about acetone. But I went ahead and tried and my lenses look just like they did before, nice and shiny.

FocusFreak09 09-16-2010 09:43 PM

Is this method only good for niteshade or paint as well? Cuz mine arent night shaded they are smoked out using black paint with some red and some clear.

..:: sleestak ::.. 09-16-2010 10:26 PM

not sure how effective it would be on something that has been sprayed and such at a body shop. I know that it will take rattle can / spray paint off plastic of any kind...so not just Nite Shades from tails, but getting spray paint off battery covers, coil covers, dash pieces, etc.

FocusFreak09 09-16-2010 11:46 PM

Well my friend did them but ill give it a try on my third brake light and let u know the results. You used regular gas right? If that doesn't work I think I havew acetone and ill try that.
Posted via FF Mobile