Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   TC or SC for Autocross? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234845)

shb5007 06-27-2010 06:19 PM

TC or SC for Autocross?
 
Just what the title says. Which will perform better overall in the average autocross event, a turbocharger or a supercharger? Looking to add some boost to my focus over the next 2 or 3 months.

wrc_fan 06-28-2010 09:33 AM

There are way too many variables to say which would be better, power is a small part of the autox equation.

In my opinion, a turbo will have greater flexability to put down more power, and be tuned for more area under the power curve in your operating RPM range. Issues like turbo lag can be accounted for with techniques like left foot braking.

But, if you were to run at SCCA events, you'll be put in a class where unlimited wheel and tire options, minimum weights, and high dollar suspension setups will trump an extra 150hp everytime.
If you're not concerned about being competitive, just want to make your SVT fast, and let it loose on the autox course once in a while, I still think turbo is the way to go.

hypnoticracing 06-28-2010 09:40 AM

im building a nice small quick spooling turbo setup for mine

Auto-X-ZTS 06-28-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrc_fan (Post 3327307)
There are way too many variables to say which would be better, power is a small part of the autox equation.

In my opinion, a turbo will have greater flexability to put down more power, and be tuned for more area under the power curve in your operating RPM range. Issues like turbo lag can be accounted for with techniques like left foot braking.

But, if you were to run at SCCA events, you'll be put in a class where unlimited wheel and tire options, minimum weights, and high dollar suspension setups will trump an extra 150hp everytime.
If you're not concerned about being competitive, just want to make your SVT fast, and let it loose on the autox course once in a while, I still think turbo is the way to go.


Bumped for truth.

Autocross is about getting the power down. ST Civics make 115-120 WHP on a good day...and they are devestatingly fast. The often beat the STX and STU cars that have 300+ HP.

I dont know what you already have or what class you're in...but get down what you already have for power befor you make more...get a LSD and some great tires on some light wheels with some good dampers. *That* will shave more time off than an extra 150 HP.

wrc_fan 06-28-2010 12:50 PM

Really, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from autox, and I don't know you're entire build plan. If you've done the research, and are ready to build a dominating SVT, more power to you.

On the other hand, if you were thinking, "man, my SVT handles well, I bet if I made 250whp I would dominate at autox", you're in for a shock when you're classed with a twin charged EG civic with 600lb springs and three way motons, and then get beat by 5 seconds.

...of course, a turbo'd SVT would be a blast to drive, especially at autox or on the track, just not the fastest thing out there.

So... I'll let the OP come back and fill us in on his goals and budget.

WUGcatsvt 06-28-2010 02:44 PM

I havent read responses yet so this might have already been said. If you planning on Autoxing I would choose, neither. It bumps you to a much more competitive class that you wont be able to compete in and Autox is more about suspension.

If you must FI go with a supercharger. Once the turbo starts to spool you will have to start breaking rendering that power useless. Ive seen this happen to most of the turboed cars out there. The Supercharged ones dont have that boost of power all at once. They have it where they need it.
So I guess I disagree with all that say turbo. I havent seen any proof that turbos are anybetter

pkolator 06-28-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WUGcatsvt (Post 3327572)
Once the turbo starts to spool you will have to start breaking rendering that power useless. Ive seen this happen to most of the turboed cars out there.

I've recently turbo'd my ZX3, that was being built for FSP, with the intent of continuing to autox it and be competitive. It has been my experience so far that you can make a turbo kit that will make the power very useful and do so very effectively.

WUGcatsvt 06-29-2010 01:37 AM

You cant run a turbo on a non turbo car in Street Prepared. With the SCCA anyway. You would be running Street mod. Page 93 of the SCCAs rules and Regs

blackoutSVT 06-29-2010 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WUGcatsvt (Post 3327572)
I havent read responses yet so this might have already been said. If you planning on Autoxing I would choose, neither. It bumps you to a much more competitive class that you wont be able to compete in and Autox is more about suspension.

If you must FI go with a supercharger. Once the turbo starts to spool you will have to start breaking rendering that power useless. Ive seen this happen to most of the turboed cars out there. The Supercharged ones dont have that boost of power all at once. They have it where they need it.
So I guess I disagree with all that say turbo. I havent seen any proof that turbos are anybetter

im with you on this i think that the gradual power of a SC would be much better than a turbo. now for racing like time attack like the car im building a turbo can be your friend since you have big runs till you get to a turn.. and then you can be building boost in to the turn and then when it hits you'll be where you want it..

but like every one else said build your supention up first then go to FI cause it is not going to do you any good to have all that power and not be able to turn..lol

Juantron 06-29-2010 07:11 AM

I think that if built correctly and tuned properly, the turbo would be the best way to go. Have you guys seen nationally competitive SM drivers??? You need to be pushing some BOOST, supercharger just won't get it done in SM. Oh, and 275 Hoosiers FTW, but that goes without saying...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.