Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Do you warm your car up in Winter? Poll.. (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222667)

Executionerhk 02-01-2010 08:24 AM

Do you warm your car up in Winter? Poll..

As the title, do you warm up your car in Winter?
if so, do you warm up until the car is in operating temp
or do you just warm up until the gauge read a little over cold.

I would also like to know why are you warming up the car,
and if it is better for engine (by decreasing wear and tear)

if you don't warm up your car,

I would also like to know why you don't warm up your car.
and why it is better not to warm up the car.

I ask, because in Europe, most people don't warm their cars up, which is a shock for me. I have been told I should warm my car up.
but my wife and my father in-law called it BS (they actually just said you don't have to warm the car up...)
and my wife said her mom's friend's husband who know machine well doesn't agree car needs warm up.

thanks,
Steven

LongDucDong 02-01-2010 08:26 AM

I let mine warm up a few minutes, until the engine temp starts to get a little warm, then I baby it (shifting below 3K) until my oil temp is at normal operating temps and my engine temps are good and warm. Then, the fun begins. MUHUHAHA

Executionerhk 02-01-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongDucDong (Post 3132588)
I let mine warm up a few minutes, until the engine temp starts to get a little warm, then I baby it (shifting below 3K) until my oil temp is at normal operating temps and my engine temps are good and warm. Then, the fun begins. MUHUHAHA

that is what i do most of the time, unless i have something to do, and i will wait until the opertaing temps.

but why are you letting the car to warm up?

03OrangeSVT 02-01-2010 08:31 AM

I start mine and let it run for a couple of minutes before driving and then I take it easy on it until it starts to come up to temps.

I let my truck run for about 5 minutes before I even try to move it.... cold natured diesel.

kjsoccerdude 02-01-2010 08:33 AM

I usually don't. Rarely if it's super cold out I will start it and let it run for about 5 minutes. But I park in the garage so it's not too bad. Also I never even touch 3K rpm's until it's been running for over 5 minutes.

LongDucDong 02-01-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Executionerhk (Post 3132591)

but why are you letting the car to warm up?

As you should know, oil gets very thick when its cold outside. When oil is thick, it wont lubricate parts as well. A little warm-up idling seems to help nicely. When I dont let it warm up in winter, the engine makes noises that I dont want to hear. [scream]

Executionerhk 02-01-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongDucDong (Post 3132608)
As you should know, oil gets very thick when its cold outside. When oil is thick, it wont lubricate parts as well. A little warm-up idling seems to help nicely. When I dont let it warm up in winter, the engine makes noises that I dont want to hear. [scream]

that is what i have been telling my wife, i know that...
just don understand why people will say it is not nessary to warm up the car.
i just feel like the car would last longer if i warm it up all the time.
because oil sinks and it needs to be brought up to the cyclinder wall.

ZX4STDoug 02-01-2010 08:44 AM

We've had a bit of a cold snap the past week here. My car is garaged at night, so mornings aren't an issue, but after sitting outside 12 hours while at work, I'll let it run for 2-3 minutes usually if it's super cold outside. Once driven, it comes up to operating temp very quickly.

Executionerhk 02-01-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZX4STDoug (Post 3132617)
We've had a bit of a cold snap the past week here. My car is garaged at night, so mornings aren't an issue, but after sitting outside 12 hours while at work, I'll let it run for 2-3 minutes usually if it's super cold outside. Once driven, it comes up to operating temp very quickly.

i want a close garage as well.
but the one that i have right now in Europe is open all around, just a roof.

BLRich1 02-01-2010 08:53 AM

I start mine to melt off the frost.