Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   First oil change at month or mileage? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21604)

SVTF'nGR8 08-08-2004 11:15 AM

First oil change at month or mileage?

Ok people, I know this topic has been covered more than a few times. (I did search)
By now I know that people recommend doing the first oil change between 1K-1500 miles.
However, I am not finding the answer to my specific question:
(Note that I prefer to follow the special operating cond. sch. every 3K/3months)

My '04 SVTF was built 10/03. I took delivery 7/24/04
Does this mean that the oil should have been changed between January-March?
When I took the car home on 7/24 it had approx. 200 miles. Today 8/8, it's only at 750.
From what I know, and from what I've gathered it sounds like no matter what the mileage
at 3-5 months (depending on sch. followed) the oil should be changed.
What are your opinions on this, and when and at what mileage did you people do the first change? Does oil really get "old" just sitting? I have run the oil between my fingers and even smelled it and it seems new, slick and smelling like fresh oil does.
Still I wonder, should I change that oil asap considering that stuff has been in there for some 10 months now??? [:(]
I tend to doubt the dealer did an oil change back in March on a brand new vehicle, no record received of that anyway. I would call and ask but they are closed today.
If the oil is long overdue for change (five months ago), how can Ford even get away with selling a car over the deadline? They'll be hearing about it from me.
Sorry to carry on so long........any replies would be appreciated

focuszx3r 08-08-2004 12:43 PM

1k miles.

vanace 08-08-2004 12:57 PM

you may have a point about changing it because it is old. I have heard in the past to change it every six months if you don't put the miles on it. I guess some of the additives evaporate out. That might be very old news though. For peace of mind you could change it. First oil change before the recomended interval is a waste of money though. I change mine every 5k, and that included the first change.

SVTF'nGR8 08-08-2004 01:10 PM

^^^I suppose you're right.
Perhaps I will follow the "normal sch" @ 5K mile intervals.
I am sure with lubrication technology as it is, Ford knows what they are talking about, afterall they are the ones that have to honor their warranty.
I think I will go ahead & get this original factory oil changed out though, for peace of mind like you said. -thanks

EuroZX3Focus 08-08-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVTF'nGR8
^^^I suppose you're right.
Perhaps I will follow the "normal sch" @ 5K mile intervals.
I am sure with lubrication technology as it is, Ford knows what they are talking about, afterall they are the ones that have to honor their warranty.
I think I will go ahead & get this original factory oil changed out though, for peace of mind like you said. -thanks

5K miles is a little lengthy IMO, I would shoot for every 3000-3500, at that mileage the oil is pretty dirty already, why wait another 1500-2000 miles? Especially when you have invested in a nice SVT.

BornAgainFordOwner 08-08-2004 04:08 PM

When I broke in my PZEV, I made a point of getting 3K miles on it relatively early. To that end, I tried to drive it 30-50 miles if I started it up. That's not always practical, but that was my goal. A lot of short trips is not good for breaking in the rings. I tried to vary the engine speed for the first 1K miles and didn't accelerate more than 2/3 rds the engine capacity and generally kept rpm below 4K until close to 1K miles when I would occasionally, under moderate throttle, go up to 5K rpm. I've broken in about a dozen cars that way and none has ever used more than 1/8 th quart, even during break-in. If the car is used daily, I change every 3K miles or 3 months which ever comes first. If the car is used for a lot of short trips where the oil doesn't get hot enough to evaporate contaminates out of it, more acid accumulates in the oil and will damage valve and other oil seals. If you live in a warm climate, or think your driving habits warrant an longer interval, increase your interval and check the under side of the oil cap and look through the cap opening at the cam and cylinder head for any signs of varnish. If the oil is changed often enough there will be no varnish what so ever. Oil seals are a pain to change and valve adjustments on these engines is by measuring and changing shims.[:(] Its easier, cheaper and more convenient to change oil on a conservative schedule.

SVTF'nGR8 08-08-2004 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BornAgainFordOwner
Its easier, cheaper and more convenient to change oil on a conservative schedule.
Thats funny. My dad has always said that same exact thing. How true it is.

Exactly why I am concerned about the first change. As for warming her up, that has not been a problem.......although I live about 6 miles -or- 10 min from my job, I have yet to get there in under 30min - takin' the long way every day! That what the SVT does to ya!
I also know about the varying in speed/rpm thing, altough I have topped 5500 once or twice, I drive her in the 2-4 range. This is my third new vehicle and the manuals always state that as a recommendation.

P.S. Bornagain........I like the name. It's been a while since Ford had a descent sport compact car, the Probe was it IMO ('97)

focuszx3r 08-08-2004 06:25 PM

I do the first change at 1k miles to remove the metal shavings from the initial break in. From then on I follow the recommended interval.

BornAgainFordOwner 08-08-2004 08:57 PM

I chose the Born Again.... because my first car was a used 1952 Ford (in 1959) with 89K miles on it. In the course of six years I put another 85K miles on it I changed just about every part except the front suspension and the rear axle housing. Many cars and 52 model years later I have my second Ford. Ford has made a lot of improvements in the interim.[:)]

FocusFreak1587 08-09-2004 02:38 AM

Change it when its completley black, and thick like tar, Then you know you got ur use out of that oil ;).

but on a serious note, ive always changed at 1,500 miles just to be safe. I use 5w20 oil and fram filter. Havent had any leaks or probs yet bud.