Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   My parents are thinking about getting a family autox car. (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214862)

bringler26 10-26-2009 03:29 PM

My parents are thinking about getting a family autox car.

So sunday I did an autocross and my parents and older sister thoughly enjoyed it. My mom is now thinking about a family autox car. I was wondering what types of cars would be good to use. I know Miatas are fairly cheap and very widely used but what other cars would you suggest. Theyre think of something that isnt too expensive so give me some suggestions.

Update: We will be using my car next season as the family car. Plans as of now are putting dunlop star specs on an extra set of oem rims I have lying around. Then A new clutch as mine show its age by slipping. While the clutch is being done the trans will be rebuilt nothing fancy just syncros and what not to fix my third gear grind. Thinking about a lightweight flywheel. anymore suggestions please post them up.

GodLovesUgly 10-26-2009 04:11 PM

an svt would be ideal :) an old scoobie would be cool too.

bringler26 10-26-2009 04:56 PM

I was thinking an old scoobie would be fun. I already have my focus so we wouldnt do one of those.

WD40 10-26-2009 05:03 PM

I know Miatas are fairly cheap and very widely used
Miata is a good choice.

A few others I'd consider:
Toyota MR2 (if you can find one in good shape)
Subaru Imprezza
Mazda RX7
Mazda RX3
The latter 2 are getting kind of old in the tooth, but are easy to make fast.

What sort of budget did your parents have in mind?
Stock, or more prepared car?

djblackout 10-26-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bringler26 (Post 2989382)
I was thinking an old scoobie would be fun. I already have my focus so we wouldnt do one of those.

its not an svt tho [neener]

I cant wait till next yeat to autox my svtf. Ive got the whole suspension fully built, and every bolt on possible. besides the stupid UDP which doesnt do crrrrrap

bringler26 10-26-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WD40 (Post 2989389)
I know Miatas are fairly cheap and very widely used
Miata is a good choice.

A few others I'd consider:
Toyota MR2 (if you can find one in good shape)
Subaru Imprezza
Mazda RX7
Mazda RX3
The latter 2 are getting kind of old in the tooth, but are easy to make fast.

What sort of budget did your parents have in mind?
Stock, or more prepared car?

Its going to be kind of a project so at first it will be stock or lightly modded but from there it will be built upon as we get better at autox we will go to more extremes with the car.

nitroracer 10-26-2009 06:41 PM

Do you want to have fun or do you want to be competitive? A lot of the time the driver matters a lot more than the car.

That said if the budget allows for a miata do it. If not something running/driving with a manual transmission for cheap and run the crap out of it.

norcalfocus01 10-26-2009 06:44 PM

Integra Type R

steve35svt 10-26-2009 07:40 PM

As much as they have been a nemesis to me, I can't leave out the MINI Cooper. Both the S and the regular one are fast in their respective classes.

6SPD_soul 10-26-2009 07:57 PM

PONTIAC FIERO MOFOS!! A Miata makes all kinds of sense, especially if you want it to be affordable. But it would be cool to do something different that you don't see much. You will never have the fastest Miata out there.... but you could have the fastest Fiero people see all year.