Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Doin this while drag racing, good idea or not? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213949)

fhg959 10-15-2009 03:21 PM

Doin this while drag racing, good idea or not?

I'm planning on going back to the strip again tomorrow and I was thinking about this technique to improve my times a little bit; While flooring the gas in 2nd or even 3rd gear, giving a quick kick to the clutch. Does that help at all?

WD40 10-15-2009 03:50 PM

I'm not sure what that would accomplish.
As soon as you disengage the clutch, even for an instant, you're going to stop accelerating.

PumkinSvt 10-15-2009 03:52 PM

so ur trying to power shift? it helps sometimes, try it and see if you like it

WD40 10-15-2009 04:04 PM

Power shift...is that what the question is?
I didn't quite get that interpretation from the OP, since shifting gears was never mentioned.
Doh! [?|]

PumkinSvt 10-15-2009 04:20 PM

Well thats what am thinking, hopefully he replies soon to clairify it

03OrangeSVT 10-15-2009 05:04 PM

I like the hold and stomp method.... hold down the gas and stomp the clutch.

fhg959 10-15-2009 07:21 PM

No no no, it's not power shifting. Let's assume I'm drag racing, I launch the car... shift into second and when I'm abround 5k rpm I give a little kick of to the clutch pedal while still flooring the gas. Yes, I stop accelerating for a lil bit, but then I get this "burst" of acceleration... I don't know how to explain it, I'm pretty sure it's been done before and there's a name for it, I just don't know it.

focusmaniaczx3 10-16-2009 01:09 AM

oh i know what you're saying. to give you a kick in the pants like you are changing gears again in between gears. ive done this on the street before when i launch from a roll with great success but ive never tried what you are suggesting on a strip. why dont you try it and see how it works out. i think it will slow you down but ive been wrong God only knows how many times in the past. like looking at a duratec engine in a focus for the first time and saying WTF! the header is made out of plastic! oh fuuuunny

nov173 10-16-2009 10:09 AM

that will just wear the crap out of your clutch. I don't see any gains in doing that.

SquillyB 10-16-2009 12:21 PM

If your talking about double clutching aka power shifting as I think it was referred to here, then in a drag race I would say no it won't help more than likely hurt your times. By NOT accelerating if even for an instant the suspension as well as other key factors will "relax" and this is not a good thing when talking forward acceleration across a specific distance ie 1/4 mile. Anything that prohibits forward acceleration will show in your time slips, this includes lifting or clutching. Unless the power increase at the higher RPM that it "jumps" to after taping the clutch while accelerating under WOT is sufficient enough to cover the lack of power during the pedal depress duration as well as having the capability to produce more power than the original rpm curve, then NO this is not beneficial to your drag times.

You also might want to find out where your car makes the most power, at what rpm does it start and where does it end. If you go playing around in your power band area and don't know what your doing, then you will suffer tremendous losses while drag racing.