Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   pedal travel issue after rear disc conversion? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209763)

tb1999 09-01-2009 10:21 PM

pedal travel issue after rear disc conversion?

[read] First off, before anyone comments about bleeding the system, it's been done correctly using a pressure bleeder, the pedal is not spongy etc, the brakes are working 100% correctly, however......

Has anyone else encountered this issue, and if so, is there a simple solution?[scratch]

I updated my factory ABS equipped 05 ZX3 rear drums using the ford racing rear SVT conversion kit.

Afterwards, the brake pedal was nice and firm, but pedal travel was a little further than stock.

I assume this is simply the differnece in piston displacement between the wheel cylinders for the drum brakes, compared to the calipers for the rear discs. [idea]

This additional pedal travel makes it difficult to heel-toe, even after making a minor linkage adjustment to lower the throttle pedal.[mecry]

I would like to correct the brake pedal travel and restore it back to where it was with the drums installed.[8D]

Will a non-abs master cylinder displace more fluid than the one in my car that came with the ABS system?

As far as I know these are the only two options for a stock master cyl, and I'm not ready to invest in a wildwood or other custom brake setup.[?|]

SVTflyer03 09-01-2009 10:51 PM

I got nothing. Maybe the master cylinder but i really dont know. Sorry. just my .02

bringler26 09-02-2009 07:53 AM

Sorry I have to say it but did you double check your fluid level? I didnt and that was my problem and I had an annoying warning light.

tb1999 09-02-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bringler26 (Post 2908056)
Sorry I have to say it but did you double check your fluid level? I didnt and that was my problem and I had an annoying warning light.

That's definetely not it.

The pedal travel problem has been there consistenstly since the disc conversion over a year ago. It's been bled and refilled several times since then, to keep the fluid fresh for track events etc, and it never changes.

It's not a problem for driving other than the pedal height compared to the throttle, creating the problem for executing heel-toe downshift while braking.

UnFocusedST 09-03-2009 12:26 PM

I did the full SVT conversion on my 05. Long as you bleed the system properly you shouldn't have extra travel. You might have a master cylinder going out like mentioned above.

tb1999 09-03-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mave (Post 2909810)
I did the full SVT conversion on my 05. Long as you bleed the system properly you shouldn't have extra travel. You might have a master cylinder going out like mentioned above.

So you can heel-toe your car after the swap, and the brake pedal is not too low to tag the throttle easily while braking hard?

roosterst 09-03-2009 06:14 PM

Just thinking, but not sure. [dunno]

Could it be a metering valve issue? Maybe you don't even need it anymore, since you replaced the drum brakes. But, I don't even know if our cars have them.

Do we use a scan tool while bleeding the ABS on our cars? I know some cars do.

If you call the Ford Motorsport tech line, they are usually pretty decent guys. Maybe they can help.

tb1999 09-03-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roosterst (Post 2910272)
Just thinking, but not sure. [dunno]

Could it be a metering valve issue? Maybe you don't even need it anymore, since you replaced the drum brakes. But, I don't even know if our cars have them.

Do we use a scan tool while bleeding the ABS on our cars? I know some cars do.

If you call the Ford Motorsport tech line, they are usually pretty decent guys. Maybe they can help.

my car was factory ABS, which does not use a mechanical metering/propotioning valve, it's all done with ABS black magic.

There is a ford scan tool function for bleeding ABS, but I have removed the ABS system recently. (I have installed a wildwood adjustable proportioning valve in the cockpit) But the pedal travel issues were basically the same before and after this mod.

I called Ford Motorsport, and they were somewhat clueless about this issue. I guess it depends on who picks up the phone.[:o)]

Anyway, these are all good tips, but I think I've covered most of this territory before making the post. [?|]

I'm hoping someone from LCR sees this thread and offers a suggestion, they have to have seen this at least once before.......

I guess what I'm really after is if anyone knows which master cylinder displaces more fluid, the ABS version, or the non-ABS version?

roosterst 09-03-2009 08:11 PM

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I'd like to know about this as well, since this is what I'm looking to do. I have a non-ABS car, so if you can think of any tests; I'll gladly do them.

runfocusrun 09-03-2009 11:26 PM

Isn't there a simple way to just adjust the pedal ?? I'm just guessing here. Also IMO if you have OEM ABS why change for a non ABS, just my .02c's