Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   had a blast... (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209653)

goinloco1 08-31-2009 10:38 PM

had a blast...

As some know, I was trying to organize an autocross before deploying to Iraq. I had been having a friend help, so when I left he picked the ball up and ran.
This weekend was sizzling summer nights, NE south dakotas largest car show which took place saturday. The autocross was held from 3-10pm friday.
We planned for 70 expecting about 30 to show up, but you never know. And we evidently didn't [cheers]
We ended up taping a bunch of the spectator area off for competitors. we had over 130 cars show up and register [:0].

There were some seriously drool worthy cars that showed up to do a few runs. Take for instance Jim who showed up with his 66 ford GT40. granted he didn't flog it, but he did play hard with it. Then there was the boxster, which after awhile one of our finest had enough and asked for a ride... he seriously got one. Lotus elise, lincolns (seriously can haul and handle we found out), a mystichrome cobra, etc.
We started with a mandatory walk through and a meeting after. You first lap was untimed and a max of 15mph (we had alot of young drivers there that needed this).
Not having timing equipment we placed the start and stop adjacent so it was easier with a stopwatch. Due to a few things we ended up using a stop box.
We will most likely be holding more of these now and will have a larger area. After talking to people and even the cops everyone thought it was an outstanding idea (no one got a ticket afterward either).
Being I helped with the track I only got three timed runs in and still took second in the 2000 up mod, first was taken by an srt4 who never got out of the damn line. But I did end up blowing the seal on my pwr steering pump which was also why I only did 3 runs... no oil on track you know.

The car show on saturday was the largest ever with over 350 cars plus a bunch of bikes, tractors, and a couple of semi's.
Oh, and Jim once again stunned me at the show. Brought an 06 ford GT40 with a rare baby blue with orange racing stripe numbered 9 (rare factory paint option) and a 1962 ferrari testorossa with documented racing history. He also has others which I will see soon if I can get the time.

was one long weekend....[neener]

http://www.sizzlinsummernights.com/ (the truck they gave away was at the autocross for show, but the radio station dared the ada to take it on the autocross track... it got flogged...lol)

focusedaddiction 09-01-2009 09:01 AM

about time you got on track Jack! [race] now ya got to come down to top gun next year & race with doug & I..and twerpie too, she races her wagon!

WD40 09-01-2009 04:08 PM

Cool deal!
Sounds like a great turnout too.
I'd never have thought there were that many enthusiasts in the area.
Where was the furthest competitor from?

Next year, ya gotta some lights.
Are there any drag race venues near you that might have portable lights to loan out?

And vids of your runs?
Power steering...Get some Redline fluid in there!
Mine used to expand quite a bit to the point of almost reaching the cap.
Not so at all now since I put in the Redline stuff.

-------Off Topic------
I got back on the track this weekend too for an event down in Bozeman! [driving] [:D]
I was a bit rusty, but that feeling was gone once I went through the first gate!

goinloco1 09-01-2009 11:59 PM

had a couple people from rapid city, north dakota, minnesota, that I can think of.
I'm looking for some lights now. hopefully I can find some used ones fairly cheap.
It sounds like we'll have anouther in a few weeks again, hopefully the whole lot this time.
Was actually pretty cool, I'd forgotten the local radio station was there announcing all day too.

WD40 09-02-2009 12:06 PM

It sounds like we'll have anouther in a few weeks again
Road Trip!
Well, I wish...
September is booked solid for us. [:(]

Do you have results posted anywhere?
Sounds like you came up with some different classes?

goinloco1 09-02-2009 09:04 PM

We pretty much set classes up adhoc by years, 70-79, 80-89, 90-99, 2000-up. then split them stock and modified.
Right now the results aren't posted yet. We are in the process of creating a new website. We also formed a new car club also.
Whats great is we have a couple businesses backing us now to help fund things. We're trying to keep this from becoming an"organization" and just a group of enthusiasts. But we may have to take the organizational approach later. One business is going to donate some cones and a storage area for us to use.

daveyboy 09-03-2009 10:58 PM

ill be there next year

goinloco1 09-03-2009 11:20 PM

lol, we're having another soon. Have to round up some insurance quotes first tho. Then cones... (anyone know where to get some cheap? (besides construction areas) they're about 6 bucks apiece. and do we need 12" or 18"?
Oh, and we've now formed a new car club in town. Blacksheep CC

thenorm 09-04-2009 12:10 AM

one thing you can do to fund the purchase of timing lights is to become an organization and start charging yearly memberships. or tack on a "timing light" fee to your event fee.

goinloco1 09-04-2009 01:06 AM

the problem with things the way they are right now we can't charge anything more than to cover costs of trophies and such. the city won't alow any type of profit since they are supplying cones and a few other things. we may charge a little more next time to help purchase some things but one thing we dont want to do is become a formal organization yet. We enjoy the way things are when we can all voice whats needed and noone is in charge per say.
over the winter we will most likely become formal as a non profit.
I am also purchasing some timing equipment soon if we can use lap timing equipment but not positive and waiting on some answers right now.