Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus Tuning Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   My in-car wiring diagram for datalogging/tuning (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207339)

mellephants 08-05-2009 02:56 PM

My in-car wiring diagram for datalogging/tuning

I was trying to sort out connectors and things for tuning, and then I accidentally opened photoshop...

[giggle]

mellephants 08-05-2009 03:03 PM

You might be "WTFing" at some of the connectors, don't worry, just ask what they are and I'll answer. If I have time later I'll summarize the whole thangy.

Basically I was just trying to figure out the best/easiest way to hook everything up without having to solder things together while in the car. I really hate it when things aren't easily removable. I'd rather spend the time cutting up some RCA cables to make custom connectors so that later when I decide to move my wideband I don't have to cut wires and re-solder everything.

illinipo 08-05-2009 04:37 PM

wtf is that connector on the bottom right under your wideband gauge???

[;)]

mellephants 08-05-2009 04:39 PM

haha, IDK, some sort of thing for something or another... [slap]

illinipo 08-05-2009 04:40 PM

and why does your dyno graph on your computer look so smooth??

[poke]

mellephants 08-05-2009 04:42 PM

thats actually a 1920x1200 screengrab of my MTF, on Advantage, on 64-bit Windows 7

mellephants 08-05-2009 04:43 PM

good thing i shrank it into unintelligible unreadability, otherwise I think I'd be breaking the EULA

iminhell 08-05-2009 05:50 PM

iPod and radio, I'm confused on those 2 . . . explain?

iceberg65 08-05-2009 11:28 PM

are you running livelink on 64bit windows vista? I thought their were compatibility issues with the software. I couldnt get the new version to install on my laptop

mellephants 08-06-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iminhell (Post 2872310)
iPod and radio, I'm confused on those 2 . . . explain?

The iPod is just there to show that I can use an iPod + Aux-in at the same time (just have to switch sources using the head unit).

Audible Knock Monitor
The wires from the knock sensor signal to the cd-player allow listening for knock through the speakers in the car. This is very very useful because you eliminate exhaust and wind noise, and you can really hear any knock very clearly! I'm hoping it will work just as well on an SVTF as it does on the regular Zetec. Pete (illinipo) listens to his knock sensor this way, and has been really successful so far. I'm going to do it pretty much the same way, but I'll get my audio signal (ground & knock sensor) right from the J&S Safeguard harness (which are connected to the same ground and knock signal Pete suggests tapping into). This way if the audio signal is working I can be sure the J&S is also getting knock signal.

J&S Safeguard
The J&S Safeguard is hooked up as per the instructions on their website, the only difference is that for now I have the boost/vacuum port plugged so the J&S will monitor for knock all the time, not just above 5" of vacuum. The J&S Monitor wire is dataloggable, so I'm going to be running it into one of the Analog ports on my SCT XCAL2. I'm really happy about that, because I'll be able to review my datalogs to see exactly what conditions caused it to be active. The 3.5mm J&S Monitor wire is straightforward:

Wideband
My other analog input for datalogging is my Wideband O2 signal. I'm using an Autometer Wideband (#5778). It has an output meant for datalogging, so its connections are also very straightforward. For more info about that Wideband, you could check out its installation pdf.

Blue: Signal (0 - 5V)
Blue/Black: Ground

XCAL2 Analog Inputs
The XCAL2's analog inputs are easy to set up, especially if the signals you wish to log are already in the allowed range (0-5V). Luckily for me, both of my signals are in range, so I can just connect them right to the XCAL2.

Now comes the most annoying part about all of this: The XCAL2's non-standard 9-pin mini-DIN connector. IMO the most simple & durable way to pull this off is to buy a Male-Male cable, then chop it in half so you have one for you and one for a friend. I bought one on eBay, from the stockcable.com store... it is also available on their website, PN# R58190A-03. Whenever you're making custom cables, always use a multimeter to determine which wires go to which pins, because not all cables use the same color scheme. You only need 3 wires for the XCAL2:

I chose to solder some widely available female RCA connectors to this DIN cable. This allows for fast & easy connections, extensions, and source swapping. I simply soldered another female RCA to the datalogging output on my Wideband, and made a custom 3.5mm->single RCA cable for the J&S Monitor.