Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   What do you guys do about tires? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205965)

coppertits 07-22-2009 06:17 PM

What do you guys do about tires?

I really want to take the car to a track, but I'm rolling on winter rubber [nono] I don't know for sure, but it seems like you'll have to replace the tires pretty often if taking the car to a track.

I was debating on buying another set of (used) rims and keeping one set for track/summer and one for winter. Suck-as[bootyshak thing about that is the tires are still expensive as hell! And high peformance only last on average 20,000 miles if you're lucky????? [bawling]

What do you guys do???

P.s. Not sure if this is posted in the right section?[?]

steve35svt 07-22-2009 08:56 PM

The first year I ran all-seasons for auto-x and shreaded them. Next yaer I ran Hankook RS2 , even with half the tread wear the RS2's held up much better.Since happening on some cheap used rims I now run r-comps I bought from a used race tire dealer.

The winters should last quite a few seasons, and 20,000 miles only during track season is alot. I don't know how many miles you put on in the summer, but street/track tires will go me a couple + years.

bdnld4482 07-22-2009 11:25 PM

yea its a good thing to have a extra set of rims, one set winter , the other set summer. im still looking for another set.

wrc_fan 07-23-2009 08:01 AM

Burning up tires is half the fun. Now that I'm running R-comps, I have a set of wheels with tires for competition only. I figure a set of tires per season.

It comes down to "You have to pay to play"

But tires for the focus are relatively cheap. You can run 15" wheels, and 15" tires are cheap!

I treat tires as expendable, kind of like gas or oil:D

xShiFTx 07-23-2009 10:27 AM

I own two sets of stock rims, one has my all seasons which I drive around on daily and the other has my race tires and only get used at events. Changing tires at the event is kind of a pain, but you get fast eventually.

I would suggest just using the tires you have now and testing the waters. If you enjoy it you can jump right in and buy performance tires.

jayel579 07-23-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrc_fan (Post 2852547)

Exactly, I add brakes as expendable also.

Racing on R-comps is so much more fun the street tires. I have a separate set for my mustang that I change out at the event (I haven't bought tires for my SVTF yet).

coppertits 07-27-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrc_fan (Post 2852547)
Burning up tires is half the fun. Now that I'm running R-comps, I have a set of wheels with tires for competition only. I figure a set of tires per season.

But tires for the focus are relatively cheap. You can run 15" wheels, and 15" tires are cheap!

Well I have a speed 3 and the tires I have on there now are $190 each. I found a set of used tires w/rims (factory) for $725 shipped. I'm going to purchase them. They look pretty much new
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...3/IMG_0018.jpg

We'll see what happens...

wrc_fan 07-27-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coppertits (Post 2858486)
Well I have a speed 3 and the tires I have on there now are $190 each. I found a set of used tires w/rims (factory) for $725 shipped. I'm going to purchase them. They look pretty much new

We'll see what happens...

I have a buddy that runs a MS3 at autox's. He picked up an extra factory set of wheels used, for cheap. Since he lives in Michigan, he has a set with all seasons for the winter, and he just got some Re11's for fun tires, which he is a huge fan of.

He did manages to take some chunk out some of the treads on the OEM bridgestones at an autox on some very abrasive pavement, so keep an eye on that.

coppertits 07-28-2009 02:51 PM

Crap! I let him know that I was going to purchase them at the same time soneone local from him said they wanted to see em' :(

Hope that deal falls through.

If so, you guys think that $400 for the rims (almost brand new) is worth it? (would have to purchase the tpms for them 4@$85 new...)

cfvwtuner 07-28-2009 08:09 PM

Only 2 sets of wheels? Between our 2 ZX3's we have a set of 17's with summer rubber, 15's with summer/auto-x rubber (falkens), 15's with 205 Kuhmo R's, 15's with 225 kuhmo R's, 16's and a set of 15 winter rubber. ALso have a pair of 16's too for auto-x
That's just for the Focus.
2 sets for the Durango, summer and winter
2 sets for the Subaru, summer and winter
4 sets between the 2 old VW's
Yea, storage is a real bitch.