Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   A/c Problems (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202855)

lunchb0x 06-20-2009 10:39 AM

A/c Problems

I am having some problems with my 2003 ford focus zx5. THe problem i am having is witht he a/c. It seems as though the passanger vents are blowing ice cold, but the drivers vents are blowing warm/hot. This has led me to believe that the fresh air door for outside air is stuck open. thus letting warm air into the vents and not properly recirculating. If this is the problem i need some help locating this so i can either manually shut it or block it, as it is not needed in hot south florida. I was told it is behind the glovebox, but many things are there, and I am unable to locate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

lunchb0x 06-20-2009 11:16 AM

also called Blend Door/ Blend Door Actuator

whynotthinkwhynot 06-20-2009 11:43 AM

Have you moved the vent selector around to see if the driver's vents close off properly in other settings like the DEF?

I'd have to do some research to be sure, but the blend door is behind the console if I'm thinking correctly, and if the problem was cutting off the outside air- then you'd have hot air on all vents.

If you have trouble getting the air to come out of different vent selections, then start tracing down the AC control vacuum under the hood that provides power for the blend door. If that vacuum line is damaged, then the vent selection won't work, or if it's a minor leak then it won't work instantly.

lunchb0x 06-20-2009 11:51 AM

Heres my order of troubleshooting.

-First checked to see the level of the freeon. the level is perfect.
-All vents are open.
-With all vents open, passanger right and left blow very cool, not necessarily ice cold but very cool.
-If i close both of those vents, the drivers left and right slightly cool down. This has led me to believe that the outside air, being hot as hell South Florida, is not being cooled properly.
-If i tap the recirculation button the dash, the temperature doesnt seem to change.
-Heat works perfectly
-All levels, 1,2,3,4 work perfectly

BAFFLED

If there is something else i should look at. I have no problem looking. Please let me know, nothign on this forum has helped thus far.

Thank you for your quick reply

whynotthinkwhynot 06-20-2009 12:06 PM

Turn the dial to select another vent for the air, not close the individual vents. You'll have to do this with the engine running. You should hear the blend door and vent selection door closing when you turn the dial from front, to mix, to lower, to low/def mix, and then to def only. If you're not hearing things opening and closing, you should verify that you have vacuum from the engine to the controls in the dash. Start in the engine compartment.

Before performing this test, I'd check to see which vents are currently blowing air to be sure you don't get a false test result. Then start moving the selector around.

lunchb0x 06-20-2009 12:11 PM

And what exactly am i looking for. by turning the vent selection(by which you mean (foot ventilation, etc) am i looking for cold air out the same vents? if i remember correctly they were both warm too, both driver/passanger. Also i am hearing what sounds like a distinct vent door moving when i switch from defrost to foot to face.

whynotthinkwhynot 06-20-2009 02:20 PM

Check to make sure that the vents are switching to each location, if not, then the vent selector is not operating correctly. Anyway, the problem might be in the heater core block off door. In a good number of Fords, the heater core is always supplied water, and a door blocks it off from the air plenum.

Swing the temperature selector from hot to cold and see if you hear a door closing there as well. That's probably the problem. That will be in the dash. The vacuum line to it might be kinked, or the door is simply stuck. I'll have to go dig through my manual to see where the actuator is located so you can manually operate the door.

kafer79 06-25-2009 10:10 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread, but did you find a fix?

I have the same problem and also suspect the blend door because my center vents blow warm at cruising speeds and turn cold when sitting at a light.

whynotthinkwhynot 06-25-2009 10:26 PM

^^ Did you try to see if you could hear it moving?

You should be able to hear a THUNK when you quickly turn the dial from cold to hot, and hot to cold. I'd try it with the engine on. I'm not sure if that specific door is vacuum actuated or not. I'd guess yes since that's how Ford has done it in other Fords I've owned.

lunchb0x 10-03-2009 05:15 PM

so i have still be scratching my head about this issue. Im almost positive that the blend door from outside air to recirculation is not shutting. But im not sure as to why the passengers vents would blow different temperature than the drivers? Is there a way i can manually shut this and disconnect. I live in South Florida and there is no need for outside ac. I have removed the glovebox and dont see anything that looks to be helpful in progressing further. THanks for the help.