Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   autocrossing - best vehicles for autox (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200205)

silverfocus 05-25-2009 02:54 PM

autocrossing - best vehicles for autox

I would like to get started in autox and have been reading and researching as much as possible on this forum and several other that have autocrossing details. I have a very general question and wanted to see what some responses were from those that are more experienced in the sport.

Obviously there will be opinions involved and they may differ but just was curious. I am going to start with my stock saab 9-5 wagon.
This vehicle is having more and more mechanical issues so I wanted to pose the question, what are some of the best/most adequate vehicles for those that do a lot of autocrossing. What are some of the best stock setup vehicles?

thanks for the input

wrc_fan 05-25-2009 04:53 PM

The best autocross car is anyone that you can go and compete in:D

Every stock class has specific cars that are stong for a given class. It's probably a best bet to determine what you really want of a car, then make a decision from there. Classes will change and cars will change classes, so you'll have to factor that in.

One way to get a look at what the strongest cars in each class is to look at the back of the scca rules where past national champions are listed.

illinipo 05-25-2009 06:44 PM

edit, ugh im a dork

steve35svt 05-25-2009 08:16 PM

Make sure you enjoy driving and are comfortable driving the car you choose. Buying a car because it holds 5 straight SCCA champoinships and don,t like driving will be no fun.On a local level you should find a competative car you enjoy driving and still trophy.

Auto-X-ZTS 05-26-2009 03:54 PM

Being successful at autocrossing is more driver than car--put another way, a fast driver in a slow car will beat a slow driver in a fast car. The car that you pick may ultimately depend on your budget. A Champion SS Z06 Corvette, Porsche or Lotus...or a champion ST class 89-91 Honda Civic Si...there are a whole bunch of ways to get your kicks...and a whole bunch of pricepoints that you can hit along the way.

silverfocus 05-26-2009 04:16 PM

wow - lots of responses

Thanks for all the quick responses. My thought process was in line with pretty much what all have said, I just have no experience with autocrossing so wasn't even sure where to start and I appreciate the guidance from those more experienced.
I will use the car I have and learn from there. But, when that car decides to begin stalling more readily and refuses to start up I will need to research something that would hopefully be a good daily driver and also a decent setup for the basic levels of autocrossing.

illinipo 05-26-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfocus (Post 2764699)
a good daily driver and also a decent setup for the basic levels of autocrossing.

How about a Focus? [;)]

focusedaddiction 05-26-2009 09:38 PM

^^X2!! on the focus.. the wife even autocrosses her wagon[thumb] & does pretty decent on a local level.
she took the sts title last year '08 in our region.
2007 i took our regions street mod. title in my ZX3 b4 i went turbo.
Your biggest asset will be LOTS of seat time!![drivin] and that's always a good time right!!

Paladin 05-26-2009 11:46 PM

^^ that's true. aldo beware of the class that looks liek it has way too many cars in it. for instancemy class to avoid here is street modified. there are way to many turbo subies and evo's to compete with. so i'm avoiding getting put in that class if at all possible.

illinipo 05-27-2009 12:30 AM

Too few cars is also a problem. There aren't many SM or SSM cars here, so the street prepared evos and stis get bumped with me [:(] im usually a full second or two back without pax, 3-4 with pax. Hopefully that will be changing this year with my new damper setup and my tuning.