Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Stock Continental Tires (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19969)

DrunkenMountie 07-21-2004 11:07 PM

Stock Continental Tires

Does anyone know how much they will cost to replace? I will most likely have to do so next summer, and I'm just looking for a ballpark of what kind of money I'll need. I'm hoping to be able to replace the tires with more of the same, as I enjoy the overall ride I get with them.

CivicHatch+SVT-F 07-21-2004 11:11 PM

Jessica had to replace one of hers... got it for cost at about $102 and i think they retail at about $120

alyosha 07-21-2004 11:27 PM

Are you sure you really want the stock ones? They are not that good. But you can get them at www.tirerack.com for about $126, they deliver by UPS to you or the shop of yoru choice. Occasionally they have a sale,so keep a watch. You need Conti Sport Contact, you can chose from several speed ratings Z or W, either one is ridiculously high. If you use car for daily driver I'd get Conti Extreme Contact for around $30 cheaper, and much better wet and winter driving.
I also noticed that I get much better stability if I overinflate tires a little - 32-35psi. I dont know if this is a good thing to do.

DrunkenMountie 07-21-2004 11:34 PM

Well, I have seperate tires for the Michigan winters, so I'm looking for something that's more for spring/summer/early fall driving. I like the stock tires, they are good for the kind of driving I need them for.

What do the Z and W ratings mean?

alyosha 07-21-2004 11:48 PM

P - 93 MPH
Q - 99 MPH
S - 112 MPH
T - 118 MPH
U - 124 MPH
H - 130 MPH
V - 149 MPH
W - 168 MPH
Y - 186 MPH
Z - 149+ MPH
So anything above H seems like a waste of money :) I am speaking for myself of cause.

rayrevolver 07-22-2004 12:47 AM

I have run my tires at 40psi front/rear from the get go, no worries. 16K miles and still a lot of tread left, and its been on the track for some mild lapping and I do try to keep corner speed up on regular drives.

The tires are OK, they wear well for 280 treadwear rated tires. But they don't make them anymore, I heard. They new tires are the ContiSportContact 2's right?

You can get Essenzas on Ebay for $250 a set! They are made by goodyear, and unless you are racing, why is there a need to spend more? Just a thought...

SVT4ME 07-22-2004 01:06 AM

Like rayrevolver said, I have heard that they are no longer producing the exact type of tire that the car came with, but now have an improved version. My Ford dealer wanted to charge me $232 per tire for the Conti's, which I knew was ridiculous. As it turns out I decided to upgrade and went with Goodyear Eagle F1's for the front and have the stock Conti's on the back until they wear out. The Goodyears are very nice tires, so far I'm happy with them, but they were about $170 a piece for Z-rated tires.

DrunkenMountie 07-22-2004 07:28 AM

Yeah, I was thinking about Eagle F1's, they are great tires, but like you said very expensive. Thats why I'll probably stick with whatever Continental's replacement for these tires is, cause I don't want to spend an extra $200 on tires. I'm gonna keep my eye out for F1's on sale or something, but probably wont have any luck.

I do occasionally Autocross, mostly when my friend from Chicago is around, so my summer driving tires need to be able to have some higher performance to them.

al1en 07-22-2004 04:07 PM

I was looking on Tire Rack the other day and was eyeing up some Yokohamas that rated higher across the board on dry grip, wet grip, hydroplaning, tread wear, road noise etc and were only $100 a piece for Ultra Performance summer tires. I know what I'll be installing when the time comes.

SVTmonkey 07-22-2004 04:24 PM

For those of you who have raced your SVTF on the track, how much tread wear do you get from one day of racing?