Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Back to Stock? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197269)

aljenkins88 04-27-2009 05:22 PM

Back to Stock?

Hey I would like to complete in a stock class I think to start off with. I have read that I could have struts/dampers with two external adjustments. What would you guys recommend as far as that goes?

Right now i have on my car:
~Enkie OR-52 Wheels with Fairly new rubber (10K)
~Cosworth CAI
~Truebendz Exhaust with resonator
~VF engineering Rear Dogbone Mount (poly)
~VF engineering Driver side Mount(poly)
~Steeda Short shifter
~Mach 1 Mustang lip
~Eiback Sport lowering Kit and camber plates
~Tune

Am I correct in assuming that I will be fine to leave the exhaust on (it didnt remove the stock cat). Would I also be able to leave the lip on or would I have to remove that? I Would like to keep it purely for aesthetics. Any recommendations for decent wheels and tires. I plan to take off everything i need to return to stock and then invest the rest of the money into a helmet and a decent starting setup for my car.

Thanks a bunch for any help!

jayel579 04-29-2009 12:46 PM

Stock class rules are basically, Tires, Shocks only not springs, Cat-Back exhaust and a front sway bar.

Tires, DOT approved R-comp on a stock size wheel. So whatever you can fit onto a 17x7" wheel +/- 5mm spacing.

Exhaust, has to be muffled and a factory cat. You can run a super trap muffler if you want, they are freaking loud, just cant have anything done on the exhaust in front of the cat.

Front sway bar is free.

Shocks are also free, you can have custom triple adjustable Motons put on if you'd like, you just wont want the price of them.

Your Tune, Camber Plates, Springs, and CAI alone take you out of Stock class and put you into a Street Tire or Street Prepared Class. I am not real sure of all the new ST rules.

Rule of tumb in auto-racing, if the rules don't say you can do it, you can't.

wrc_fan 04-29-2009 01:18 PM

I would recommend keeping the car as is and run ST. You have the majority of ST mods already. You can find a helmet for autox for under a $100 with no problem.

Will you be the fastest ST car? Maybe not, but that way you can keep your car as is. Go race, have fun! Save some pennies for a good set of tires for ST.

Work on your driving skills, once you are getting the most out of the car, throw on some konis.

wrc_fan 04-29-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayel579 (Post 2720930)

Tires, DOT approved R-comp on a stock size wheel. So whatever you can fit onto a 17x7" wheel +/- 5mm spacing.

17x7 is only for an SVT focus, other foci have to run on a 16x6 or a 15x?

WD40 04-29-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrc_fan (Post 2720988)
I would recommend keeping the car as is and run ST. You have the majority of ST mods already. You can find a helmet for autox for under a $100 with no problem.

I'll 2nd all of the above.
Now...get that helmet and get out to the events!

jayel579 04-29-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrc_fan (Post 2720994)
17x7 is only for an SVT focus, other foci have to run on a 16x6 or a 15x?

Ah sorry, I assumed he had an SVT.

aljenkins88 04-29-2009 06:01 PM

the main reason i want to "start from stock" is because I am not really happy with the path I ended up going down as far as modifications. If i go back to stock I can do a good bit of much needed maintenance on my car with money from selling all my upgrades as well as spend some money to fully set my car up for stock class. Im a college student right now so money is pretty slim and I dont think ill be able to come across what i need to do the maintenance otherwise.

jayel579 04-29-2009 06:13 PM

Well according to stock class "rules" it is supposed to be the lowest cost class to race in. In general Autocross is supposed to be the lowest cost form of racing but go check out the guys that trophy and win at nationals in the stock classes, they by far are not spending minimally

But the classes are setup to build one on top of the other and you can work on your driving of your car as you progress up to the more “pre-pared” classes. Ever since I have started autocrossing, I have told anyone thinking about getting into it to run your car bone stock first. So I think you would definitely benefit from, essentially starting over and building your skills from the ground up.

aljenkins88 04-29-2009 10:06 PM

Thanks a bunch everybody. Im going to go back to stock setup with some kyb adjustable and leave my catback on. Look forward to my first trackday. Maybe ill see some of you out there if anybody is near Richmond.