Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Going to Power Locks Questions (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193720)

skikid89 03-29-2009 09:17 PM

Going to Power Locks Questions

Hey guys. So I have a project. One of my buddies is building a freaking bad a** sedan. Thats all I'm going to say of that. He is not going to have any power stuff in this thing.

That being said, I have manual locks. His sedan came with power ones. The sedan is an 01, and mine is a ZX3 and is an 03. He was all the wiring and parts from it.

Now. Here is what I am thinking of doing. I'm going to need some help, and looking for you guys to do it. If I take his power locks, and door buttons, and the wiring. Can I make it work.

I'm not trying to tie into the car at all. I'm not trying to make it work with the factory remote. (I have an aftermarket security system that I would use for this) All I want to do is wire them up so that When you push the lock button, it locks the doors and when you hit the unlock button it unlocks the doors.

So. If I get his door latches, will they work from ZX4 to ZX3? Second, making my own wiring harness (and using bits and pieces of the stock one) can I wire them up in a way to just make the buttons work?

Thanks for any and all help!

Austin

Shady R 03-30-2009 10:09 AM

Yes you can make it work.
Actuators, mounting brackets, 2 relay, 30feet of 16 gauge wire.
5wire setup.
connecting to the alarm only is gonna be the easiest way to do this. if you want to incorporate it in the car 100% then your gonna need a lot more labor and parts, if your going that far you might as well do the power locks and windows.you wont need the latches and buttons in other words..

skikid89 03-30-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shady R (Post 2668234)
Yes you can make it work.
Actuators, mounting brackets, 2 relay, 30feet of 16 gauge wire.
5wire setup.
connecting to the alarm only is gonna be the easiest way to do this. if you want to incorporate it in the car 100% then your gonna need a lot more labor and parts, if your going that far you might as well do the power locks and windows.you wont need the latches and buttons in other words..

Well all I want is the power locks buttons to work. I'm not trying to transplant doors or anything. I can get the latches from a 4 door (and all its wiring) for free. I have a 3 door.

I'm not trying to tie in the power locks from the four door to the factory remote system or anything like that.

Actually lets just not worry about the alarm (factory or aftermarket). Let just say this... Is there a way that if I get the latches, handles, and buttons, (all with a little bit of wiring from them) can I put them in my car and wire it so that when I push the lock button, both doors lock and unlock?

skikid89 03-31-2009 02:30 PM

Anyone done this conversion?

skikid89 04-01-2009 10:05 AM

Help! Please!!!!!!!

tkheaven 04-01-2009 10:13 AM

sounds like a dang good project but I haven't a CLUE on how to do this...

skikid89 04-01-2009 11:22 AM

I know. I really want to do it because it will be all stock parts and only cost me some wire and connections. I just want some advise before I dive into it.

Shady R 04-11-2009 08:43 PM

if you have all the parts needed to do this all i need to know really is what the issue really is then? tieing it in to power in the car or the entire assembly of it from scratch. btw im an electronics engineer and have worked on cars electrical systems for 13yrs, so im very positive its an easy install.

slydarkwolf 04-11-2009 11:26 PM

Hey Kid, I did this whole project and together it only took a day. However, I used "ALL OEM PARTS" so I didn't make any harness's for my car. However... it will work, just as long as you have it ground correctly and powered correctly...

skikid89 04-12-2009 09:57 AM

I have the whole harness. But someone had cut the wires going into the doors. I have all the ends so I could splice them all together. Here were my questions. I haven't gotten to tear into the car and check any of this out yet.
1. Are the latching mechanisms and the door key mechanisms a different piece so that I can retain my original key.
2. Does it require the changing of the GEM module. I have heard that talked about, but don't know all that it does. I don't plan on using the factory remote locks (don't have the remotes) so is the GEM necessary.
3. The donor car is an 01 with an SPI and mine is an 03 with a Zetec. Does that make any difference?