Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Best Way to change AC Condenser (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182201)

Wagamos 12-14-2008 07:12 PM

Best Way to change AC Condenser

Whats the easiest way to remove the ac condenser? From the top or bottom? I have a hole in my old one due to saw going through it, got a replacement off of a buddy's wrecked foci and need to swap em over so I can go get a recharge once my car is running.

Also curious of any issues i might run into when I do the swap. Thanks!

iminhell 12-15-2008 04:25 AM

Out the bottom. Drop the rad/cond assy and tilt the top towards the engine. Should slide out fairly well.

Issues. Might find a rouge saw from the sounds of it. lol

Nothing too hard though. Just be sure to use new O-rings.

thisdude_05 12-15-2008 04:29 AM

I have to do this too. Is there a how-to somewhere? I'll post up what the haynes manual says.

Be sure to put some oil in the new ac condenser and once you have it bolted up and connected hook up a vaccum pump to it then recharge.

aironjack 12-15-2008 02:26 PM

There are several things that you must not forget when doing this. Don't forget to put oil in the compressor, read the instructions for number of ozs. If it is a used one, then just replace the oil.

Change the rings of the compressor before putting it, because it can avoid leaks. When you put it in place.

Vacuum every line. Moisture in the system is a big problem. You can use some chemical cleaner and an air compressor for getting it out.

Replace the expansion valve (orifice tube).

Replace the accumulator, this is something you always want to do when you change you compressor.

Recharge the system using the low port. Before starting the car turn the a/c compressor pulley around 15 times to make the first cycle of circulation and grease your compressor, This step is crucial, if you don't want to start cutting your compressor life in a half.

I did this in my older car once, but I have never done it in my Focus and I hope not to do it. This and your manual should be good enough to do it.

whynotthinkwhynot 12-15-2008 09:00 PM

Replace parts as written above: accumulator, orifice tube, condenser.

Rent or purchase gauges, and rent a vacuum pump. Make sure you read the directions on the vacuum pump.

Replace all O-rings you remove.

Vacuum the system first, make sure it holds -30 psi for 30 mins or so.

You can get oil charges under pressure like refrigerant. Put in the oil charge, then refrigerant as needed. Be sure to ask how much refrigerant and oil your system requires. Most parts stores can look this up. Verify that the oil charge is sufficient, and make sure you are getting enough refrigerant. If you have to buy extra, the general rule for R-134 is somewhere around 35 psi on the low side when cycling.

I'll look up the actual specs for the Focus sometime when the room the manual is in is not occupied by sleepers.

Wagamos 12-16-2008 12:11 PM

Thanks everyone. Gonna have to do this perty soon hopefully. I thought you technically had to take it somewhere to have the refridgerant done. I didnt realize you could do it yourself.

Wagamos 12-16-2008 12:13 PM

Oh, and its not like I just lost a saw on it randomly. We were cutting into my bumper to make room for my intercooler and he slipped and punctured the Condenser. I was less than happy.

jacjm 10-02-2012 10:28 AM

are some of these replies getting the compresser and condenser confused ??