Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   PS3 vs Blu Ray? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178044)

ryan1428 11-02-2008 02:51 PM

PS3 vs Blu Ray?

I'm not a gamer. So not worried if the ps3 is the best out there. I am in the market for a Blu Ray player. Is the PS3 a top of the line blu ray player or just a gaming system that does an OK job at playing video? Not sure what kind of options are available on BR players. I noticed a DVD enhacment feature. Do all players have this feature? Bottom line.... Will a $400 ps3 equal a $400 br player?

eliaslincoln 11-02-2008 07:13 PM

I would say wait for winter Blu ray players WILL go down in price. the blu ray in the PS3 is fine but i rather have a stand alone.

CJohn364 11-02-2008 08:54 PM

The PS3 is an excellent BR player. I've already started working on my BR collection because of it. I have not compared it to other BR players on the market, though.

dazada 11-02-2008 09:00 PM

I say find the cheapest, brand name Blu-Ray, and you'd be set. Blu-Ray movies and their players are too expensive for me.

Trav-E2.0 11-02-2008 09:23 PM

Make sure you're at the Best Buy black Friday sale. Be the first 20 people in the door and you can pick up a Blu-Ray for $199

eliaslincoln 11-03-2008 01:15 AM

^they will still be cheaper this Christmas

they don't sell like they thought they would when HD dropped. And with a crappy economy NO ONE NEEDS blu ray so they have to meet the demands of a price drop.

its simple economics really.

whynotthinkwhynot 11-03-2008 05:20 AM

^^ On that note, I've read that Sony will be introducing a new cheaper version of the PS3 sometime in Nov. I read that a while ago, hopefully they are still on target, and with good luck they will release it with infrared for universal remotes so I won't have to ditch my Harmony 550 for the sake of a bluetooth (nearly nonexistent) compatible model. You can get Sony's bluetooth remote for the PS3 for $25, but I hate having more than one remote for my system. I guess I'd survive if I had a PS3.

Personally, I'd get the PS3 just because you can play games on it, and can't play games on other players. You might not be a big gamer, but you might fall in love with one game- like Gran Turismo 5 with a steering wheel and pedals. That's one reason why I want one, and why I have a PS2 as well as a Wii. It's worth the slight amount of extra money to have the option to play games if you want.

gonefhsn 11-03-2008 10:44 AM

^^that is the whole reason I bought a PS3...I was looking for a BR player but they are all around $400 so I discussed it with the wife and she agreed to a PS3 because of the multi use and it is the same price, and man what a world of differance from the old DVD..

Gwizzy 11-03-2008 03:55 PM

I don't know about all Bluray players.. but one bonus to PS3 is it's built in WiFi... So as formats change/adjust, your PS3 will always work because they can release a patch/update to configure for different changes. Another nice WiFi bonus is if there is ever any online content on Bluray, the PS3 may be able to access it.

One drawback that you may not like, (myself included) is that the remote is a bluetooth remote, so multifunction remotes that have IR tech, will not work unless you have an IR receiver for the PS3.

It will upscale DVD's, connects via HDMI, has optical audio out, etc.. so even if you never take advantage of PS3 games, the HDD, downloadable movies (including HD), demos, etc... it will still make a great bluray player.

But you are paying for a lot of features you may never use.... try to find a good deal on a stand alone unit... I've seen them for about $200

nickl16 11-04-2008 07:11 PM

I would get the PS3 or a bluray player with 7.1 audio. Many bluray players will not do 7.1 but the PS3 will. Not that it is very important to most people but that is something to think about.