Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Window Regulator Replacement Guide (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172095)

danovotny 09-04-2008 10:37 PM

Window Regulator Replacement Guide

Hello! First off, I want to thank everyone for giving me the confidence to perform this task. I had initially thought the window regulator would be too hard to replace. After reading several posts, most stated that it was very easy to do. I decided to follow the various descriptions and instruction to successfully install the new regulator. Several posts had requested pictures and a guide for the job. I decided to document the process and make a PDF for it. Hopefully others will find this guide useful and give them the confidence to save some money and gain a greater appreciation for the inner workings of their car. Any feedback and comments are welcome. Thanks again!

PDF Download

networkalias 09-05-2008 12:40 AM

Thanks danovotny! I'lll give it another try. I've been driving around with a custom cut piece of wood stuck in the door to keep the window up.

mikebontoft 09-05-2008 12:45 AM

hey danovotny.......I guess you had trouble with your windows then since you're a sedan.... tell me, did they even work and all that? like, did the motor work? I've got that problem where both rear windows don't open and all that; tried to replace the motor, but there's not enough power going to it, if any. I'll look at the how-to of course [thumb]

grahama 09-05-2008 01:02 AM

nice write up! will be doing this to my wagon in the near future. Any tips for doing the front regulators?

mikebontoft 09-05-2008 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grahama (Post 2326629)
nice write up! will be doing this to my wagon in the near future. Any tips for doing the front regulators?

front regulators should be the same, except I think there's one less torx screw in the panel, and of course it's all backwards......the rest should be the same :)

danovotny 09-05-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

did they even work and all that? like, did the motor work?
In my case, the motor was still functional, but the cable had come disconnected from the clip. When I would press the button to roll the window up and down, I would hear the motor turn over, but since the cable was broken, the white clip and the window would not move at all.

Quote:

Any tips for doing the front regulators?
I can't speak from experience, as I have only done the back ones. I would make the same assumption that mikebontoft did, that they shouldbe the same.

mikebontoft 09-05-2008 04:22 PM

ah yeah see.....when I try, I get nothing... thankfully to a school funded alldata pro subscription, I can figure out what it is :)

danovotny 09-07-2008 12:23 AM

So, I had my replacement job fail me today. When I tried to roll down the window, the track went down, but the window didn't follow. I had made certain that the window was tightly fitted into the white clip. Did I miss something like a clip or bolt that attached the window to the clip? There was no pin joining the regulator clip and window as I have heard described in other posts?

mikebontoft 09-07-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danovotny (Post 2329810)
So, I had my replacement job fail me today. When I tried to roll down the window, the track went down, but the window didn't follow. I had made certain that the window was tightly fitted into the white clip. Did I miss something like a clip or bolt that attached the window to the clip? There was no pin joining the regulator clip and window as I have heard described in other posts?

yeah Haynes manual says there's a pin of some sort, so you might want to investigate that and probably get a replacement [:p]

Kauai Guy 09-07-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebontoft (Post 2330373)
yeah Haynes manual says there's a pin of some sort, so you might want to investigate that and probably get a replacement [:p]

The pin is actually this white cylinder with a little cut in it, with a smaller cylinder inside of it.

It probably fell in the door somewhere. The hard part is getting that white clip in. What i did was put the larger one in first to hold the window, and put the smaller one in.