Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   SVT Focus to HS? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170670)

svtstu 08-22-2008 11:05 AM

SVT Focus to HS?

So in the latest Fasttrack there is a proposal to move the SVT Focus to HS starting in 2010.

http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastra...-sept-solo.pdf

Thoughts?

SuperFocusMan 08-22-2008 11:41 AM

dead link.

retried, works.

Let me read up

Dudes ZX3 08-22-2008 04:04 PM

It doesn't bother me so much now since I'm no longer running in HS. But I would have been ticked if I still was. It should give the hs mini and subbie RS's a good run for their money!

Blurvfocus 08-22-2008 08:26 PM

I notice there's only a .001 difference in the PAX fudge factor between the regular focus and the SVT. So they must not see much difference between the two.

Dudes ZX3 08-22-2008 09:18 PM

The gearing is all wacky on the SVT. Although they do have more HP and wider tires, better springs, and the all loving svt snorkel [wiggle] [wiggle]

svtstu 08-23-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blurvfocus (Post 2303649)
I notice there's only a .001 difference in the PAX fudge factor between the regular focus and the SVT. So they must not see much difference between the two.

Where do you see that? I have the Pax index's for GS and HS at .815 and .792 respectively. As to the gearing, if your doing the auto-x in 2nd in an SVT the chances of you being quick are somewhere between slim and none. Most local courses can be done completely in first. I took my performances and swapped the index of STS with H stock (my two mods are a tune, doesn't buy you much in an auto-x, and a 25mm RSB, there have been rumors that RSB changes will be allowed in stock classes, so no real advantage over what a future HS SVT would have) and my season average on all season tires would have been 920, and I would have needed to pick up 5 seconds to average 1000 pts. in a division where 3-4 class winners come from annually. Between slicks and double adjustable shocks I think the 5 seconds should be easy to come by (I would venture that the hot tire would be the 245/40/17 Hoosier A6 on team dynamics or OZ ultraleggera's, which would pick up 5 seconds right there) not to mention that I've just nicked a cone on my fastest run in half of the Auto-X's this season, and am still a novice. I would think that the SVT would dominate HS, like mini cooper s in GS for the past 4 years.

Dudes ZX3 08-23-2008 03:35 PM

It was to my understanding RSB were open in Stock class...

kimbo305 08-23-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svtstu (Post 2304666)
As to the gearing, if your doing the auto-x in 2nd in an SVT the chances of you being quick are somewhere between slim and none. Most local courses can be done completely in first.

It really depends. At the local autocross site, 2nd is the gear to be in, with top speeds approaching 60. My friend with a stock SVT needs to downshift to 1st occasionally on a turn around but has no problem flogging around the rest of the course.

Blurvfocus 08-23-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svtstu (Post 2304666)
Where do you see that? I have the Pax index's for GS and HS at .815 and .792 respectively.

Oh... I was looking at the two cars in STS. I guess that makes the difference.

SVT Robzor 08-23-2008 09:44 PM

Locally, I think it'd be nice to have the SVT in HS. I ran mine in GS last season and found myself, like everybody else in GS without a Cooper, significantly behind the Cooper S's, one with and one without the LSD. Looking at my raw times, the SVT in my club would have been perhaps too strong, but we don't have much serious HS competition.

Nationally, I don't see it making a huge difference. The SVT is pretty well crippled by high curb weight, poor front suspension geometry and inopportune fender clearances. You won't get a situation like the Scion TC, which enjoys wide camber adjustment and plenty of room to stuff big Hoosiers on the 17x7's - it'd be similar to a Mazda3 2.3's situation, with relatively poor handling to the base Cooper's but significantly better corner exit grunt. Only, the 3 can fit, I THINK, a 245mm Hoosier on the stock wheels, which I'd pay good money to see fit on a stock-legal wheel on my car without pushing into the dampers so hard as to lock the wheel.

I race an FMod now anyway, so they can do as they like :)