Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   SVT stalling and cleaning your ground connections (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170314)

DirtyDeeds 08-18-2008 02:45 PM

SVT stalling and cleaning your ground connections

Over the last few months, I've been refreshing the SVTF (It has 92,000 miles on it). New plugs, wires, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the air filter, new fuel filter, replaced the VCT solenoid, new timing belt, etc.

Anyway, the car has had an issue familiar to many SVTF owners, stalling when coming to a stop. Over the last few months, it's been getting worse and had gotten to the point where I could pretty much count on it stalling at least once per day and come close to stalling a few times per day.

One maintenance item I had not gotten to was cleaning the ground connections by the battery. I've owned two Mustangs, two Merkurs and two Focuses and I've always found that computer controlled Ford products can be sensitive to how strong the ground connection is in the wiring harness.

This past Saturday morning, I set about cleaning the three ground wires attached to the inner fender well just to the right of the battery. I used a wire brush and cleaned both the connectors and the bolts. While I don't believe this to be a cure all, the SVTF is running better, has a better idle and hasn't come close to stalling in two days.

So here is your Top Gear top tip...
Clean those grounds and maybe you won't have to be embarrassed at the next stop light when your SVTF decides to take a nap.

ken6x6 08-18-2008 04:07 PM

huh... i just might try that

DirtyDeeds 10-09-2008 07:27 AM

Just an update. The car behaved for two weeks and started stalling again. Time for a tune.

WUGcatsvt 10-09-2008 09:35 AM

Sounds Like it ^^

Hillyard 10-09-2008 10:10 AM

Well the A/C can cause some problems if you don't downshift. If you depress the clutch and coast to a stop then you are more likely to get a stall.

boarder 10-10-2008 01:48 AM

Ya know...im at 96,xxx and I haven't had a problem with it stalling at all actually. What all have you replaced and whatnot?

DirtyDeeds 10-10-2008 08:01 AM

I'm at 97,000 and the stalling just became a problem a few months ago. To date, I have replaced plugs, plug wires, IAC, O2 sensors, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the grounds and added a CFM 67mm TB.

The TPS and MAF are original, but the MAF has been cleaned multiple times using MAF cleaner.

Hillyard 10-10-2008 08:20 AM

Sounds like the iginition pack might be starting to go? Do you get any misses?

DirtyDeeds 10-10-2008 08:31 AM

I forgot to add that one. I had an MSD coil pack when the problem started and swapped back to the stock coil pack when I changed out the plug wires. It made no difference.

JRODSVT 10-10-2008 09:44 AM

Have you considered the Big 3 upgrade?

engine to chassis ground, battery to chassis ground, alternator to battery positive?

I did this a while ago and it helped my stalling problem. even with having an alternator that does not turn on until 1200 rpm.