Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Brake light keeps flashing! Help please!!! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169394)

<focusONthis> 08-10-2008 12:29 AM

Brake light keeps flashing! Help please!!!

My car starts up fine. Emergency brake lifts and drops like normal. The car drives good. But as I'm driving, the red emergency brake light on the dash flashes on and off during the whole drive. I double check the emergency brake to make sure its all the way down but it still flashes on and off. I'll be pushing the gas pedal (not even touching the brake pedal) and it still flashes. Does anyone know what this could be? My brakes aren't too old either. PLEASE HELP!!!

DarkFire1986 08-10-2008 12:41 AM

That light is telling you somethings wrong with your brake system. If your ebrake is down, I'd start by checking the fluid level.

zappaMan 08-10-2008 04:14 AM

If it is flashing on and off, especially irregularly, I would check to see if your E-brake position switch is working correctly. I have had one that was going which would flash on and off whenever I went over a bump.

<focusONthis> 08-10-2008 04:18 PM

The brake fluid looks ok. I could probably add a little but its not below the min. line.

But I got my shift cable replaced not 2 long ago and when I got my car back, the ebrake felt like it was rubbing something everytime I dropped it. It did this 4 so many weeks and then stopped. U think they could've taken the console out, put it back in when they were done, and messed something up?

Also, my trans has been screwing up. 2nd gear grinds when its hot and the gears feel out of place when I'm shifting. The gears feel loose. The stick doesnt shift into gear like normal. Since the brake fluid and clutch fluid are together, and the clutch is in the trans, is there a way that it can be sensing the trans problem? If this is a dumb question, sorry. But I was just curious and trying 2 figure out something it could be. But I'm sure u see how I came up with that.

Blackcatn2o 08-10-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zappaMan (Post 2279332)
If it is flashing on and off, especially irregularly, I would check to see if your E-brake position switch is working correctly. I have had one that was going which would flash on and off whenever I went over a bump.

I second that

Blackcatn2o 08-10-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zappaMan (Post 2279332)

I second that

zappaMan 08-10-2008 08:03 PM

You have to take the console off to do the shift cables so I think you have found your culprit!

Blurvfocus 08-10-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by <focusONthis> (Post 2280037)
The brake fluid looks ok. I could probably add a little but its not below the min. line.

If the pads are fairly new, the fluid level should be near the max line, not the nin line. I suggest you add a little fluid and see where you stand. It's a lot easier than ripping your console out, only to find out a tablespoon of brake fluid would have fixed it, no?

zappaMan 08-10-2008 08:37 PM

The throw-out bearing and clutch are not in the transmission, they are between the tranny and the engine in the bell housing. It certainly is possible that it could be the fluid sensor, but if you had work done on the console and you felt your e-brake snag on something it really does point to the ebrake position sensor. It isin't that bad to remove the centre console. It also doesn't make sense to buy a litre of brake fluid to add a touch when you know you can't use it if it sits for more then a month or two.

gonzorelic 08-10-2008 09:08 PM

pull the boot off the e brake handle. there is a small push button under there facing upward. thats your problem. my car and my friends car both do this. they just flash irregularly. the reason is the button may be going bad or it might have gotten worn on top a bit and the e brake handle doesnt fully push down on the button when its all the way down.