Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2008 Cruise Control (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166481)

mikeswaggs 07-14-2008 09:42 AM

2008 Cruise Control

I am a new Focus owner, bought a 2008 SE Vapor Silver with a manual. I wanted to get cruise, but it was proving hard to find. As a result, I have been looking into adding cruise on mine afterward. I have read the couple of posts about this topic, but none of them actually came to a conclusion.

From what I have checked out, since the car has ETC, (electronic throttle control) everything for cruise control should be there. There is a brake switch (for disabling cruise), no further mechanisims under hood are needed, so my thought is that if the appropriate slip ring behind the steering wheel is there with a connection for cruise, then a new steering wheel with cruise buttons and a computer reflash should do the trick.

Any thoughts? Has any of the other guys that were looking into this have any luck? Do we have any Ford dealership employees on this forum that can poke around the dealership for any info?

mikeswaggs 07-23-2008 01:50 PM

No comments from anyone?

I was looking on Ebay, and found an 08 Focus base model steering wheel for sale. I assumed that someone had done the swap to add cruise to their car. I asked the seller and he indicated that he ordered from the dealer a steering wheel with cruise buttons. He did not include many details, and I have asked him to elaborate on what he did, but it seems like it is possible. I am hoping some of you out there may have done some digging yourselves and found anything.

Anyone?

penguin 07-23-2008 02:37 PM

Have you tried (a) checkin with your dealership for a factory kit, or (b) sending an e-mail to Ford with the question?

I sent an e-mail to Ford using the address on their website a year or two ago about DRL's and got a response.

mikeswaggs 07-24-2008 09:42 AM

I have been working with Mike at Hillbish Ford and I think we are almost there. I ordered a new steering wheel with cruise and when it arrives I am going to see how it goes. So far, we have reviewed all the wiring diagrams for the cruise option and have found that the cars without cruise have everything necessary installed EXCEPT for the cruise buttons on the steering wheel. The only thing left after installing the new steering wheel will be a possible reflash needed. We'll see. I'll keep everyone updated.

Egz 07-24-2008 11:39 AM

Thanks. Keep us posted.

wicked5_0 08-06-2008 08:56 PM

Any updates on this? I too am a new Focus owner and am in the same boat. I would love to add CC to mine, so thanks much for the research. [cheers]

mikeswaggs 08-11-2008 12:20 PM

Well, I recieved the new steering wheel. I ordered the wheel, leather with cruise w/o sync. The wheel came with the cruise and redundant audio controls. I installed the wheel this morning and..... nothing. I anticipated having to reflash the computer, especially since the car has ETC, but I hoped that it would just work.

So, I'm gonna hit up the dealer the next few days to see about getting a reflash. I'll let you all know how it goes.

b16sir1991 08-11-2008 12:22 PM

Please keep me informed.....

Derek Zoolander 08-11-2008 01:14 PM

would you happen to have taken any pics of the wheel being put on, more specifically what the wiring looks like...

the reason i ask is I am looking to convert the resume cc button (which i never use) to a n2o GO switch for the ultimate stealth look... but i was hoping for some pics and input from someone who has been involved with the cc wiring.

LucJoe 08-22-2008 11:07 AM

Any update on this? I'm thinking of getting a base "S" model 08 and would definitely want to add cruise to it if possible.