Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Official Polls & Surveys (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Speed Reduction - 55 MPH Limit (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165508)

Tom 07-05-2008 05:55 PM

Speed Reduction - 55 MPH Limit

Recently a Republican Senator brought attention to the possibility of a nationwide speed limit reduction. He cited studies that a 55 mile-per-hour limit would save two percent of highway fuel consumption a day.

The Energy Department's Web site said fuel efficiency drops sharply above 60 miles-per-hour. He said every five miles per hour above that costs drivers roughly the equivalent of paying 30 cents a gallon more at the pump.

A national speed limit was tried before, starting in 1974, but was dropped in 1995 when crude oil fell to $17 a barrel and gasoline cost $1.10 a gallon.

What are your thoughts, are you for or against reinstating the 55 MPH limit to save fuel?

norcalfocus01 07-05-2008 06:02 PM

i rember when california had the 55mph limit on all highways, no one ever drove 55 the cops usllay gave a 10mph buffer anyway and in cali if the speed limit droped to 55 no one would slow down to it. if im not doing 75 in the fast lane of I5 then i'll get ran over.[thumb]

Dudes ZX3 07-05-2008 06:05 PM

sounds like another revenue enhancer...

Muhaha2 07-05-2008 06:06 PM

Agreed. Why not just make a GAS SAVERS LANE? u can granny drive all u want on the GAS SAVERS LANE lol.

bluefront 07-05-2008 06:17 PM

Apparently some of you guys are not taking this gasoline problem seriously. How would you like to stand in line for several hours just to get gas at any price? I've done it and it's no fun. That's what is in store...unless something is done quickly.

norcalfocus01 07-05-2008 06:51 PM

belive me i am taking the gas problem serousily ive cut back on my driving and think about what trips i make. i just said that it probaly wont do any good. hell alot of big rigs drive over 55 right now and they do have the speed limit of 55 in california

warneej 07-05-2008 06:52 PM

there is no shortage of gas, nor have the arabs raised the price of gas substantially in the past year...

the price gouging is due to people playing the market...check forbes.com for info

Joshuasvt 07-05-2008 07:30 PM

I think the govt should give everyone mopeds so that way we arent using all that gas in our cars for short trips....

lol

dirtbrown 07-05-2008 07:49 PM

hmmmmmm interesting. I remember the 55mph hwys

goinloco1 07-05-2008 08:25 PM

thats the problem whith people using decades old studies to prove something. yes, back when the cars did get better milage at 55 but that was due to the gearing of the trannies and diffs back then. today they are geared for the higher speeds.
55 sounds good in theory but does anyone know what it actually costs to change all the signs again? figure a minimum of 50 dollars per sign (rough estimate at 35$ pe sign and a very low install cost added also). this was one of the reasons it took so long to get rid of the 55 in the first place the cost to the state and fed to change over. were not talking a few thousand dollars, if i remember correctly the cost was way over 50 million.
once again this is your tax dollars.
if a study was done using todays cars the outlook for savings would be considerably less than they state.
my car at 55 is below the rpm it likes to run at. 65-75 is where it gets its best milage.