Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Is this a good wheel/tire choice for G stock/STN (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159857)

Killercanary 05-13-2008 11:25 PM

Is this a good wheel/tire choice for G stock/STN

I took 1st place in STN (street tire novice) at our first autocross of the year a few weeks ago and I have another event this weekend. I'm going to need new tires soon and I have read the great reviews that the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires are getting. I'm thinking about buying a set of SVT Euro wheels and wrapping them in the Z1 215-45-17 tire. Does this sound like a good and competitive setup? I can get this setup mounted and balanced for under a grand which I think is a good price. I appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks!

BTW- I have a 2003 SVTF.

svtstu 05-14-2008 02:58 PM

That sounds like a very solid street tire setup.

Auto-X-ZTS 05-14-2008 04:46 PM

I'd get the 215/40's to help your gearing a little...you'll like. 23.8 vs 24.6"

"regular" Foci have 24" tires, the SVTs a bit taller...but the SVTs are geared higher too, which is not a good thing for most autocrosses...

Killercanary 05-14-2008 05:08 PM

I don't think I can run G stock with a 40 series tire, can I? I think I have to run the stock size tire and wheels. I'd like the extra gearing but I want to stay legal. Does anyone know if I can run the 40 series for sure?

WD40 05-14-2008 05:27 PM

^^^You can run whatever tire size you want...
As long as it fits on the stock wheel size. [;)]
There are no tire size requirements, just wheels.
Here's the rule:
Quote:

13.4 WHEELS
Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:
it is the same width and diameter as standard, and as installed (including wheel spacers if applicable)
it does not have an offsetmore than +/- 0.25 inch from a standard wheel for the car.
The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed.
Auto-X-ZTS has a great suggestion for the size.
The shorter gearing is a definite help on the SVTF.
Not only that, you've just effectively lowered your center of gravity by almost 1/2" by running the 40 series.

Killercanary 05-15-2008 08:36 AM

Thanks guys! I just went and read and re-read the 2008 rules and see that you are right WD40, so I'm now going with the 40 series. Thanks all, I'll let you know how I do this weekend on them.

Does anyone have any suggestions what-so-ever as to a starting air pressure for these? And should I get them mounted on the car and put some street miles on them before I head out to the race on sunday as a sort of a break in?

DognamedMack 05-15-2008 11:37 AM

not trying to start a fight but where 17's was not an option on normal foci would the 17" rim bump you out of stock class?

I know someone running STS and he told me when he put on 17's he was bumped to STS2.

Just another rule that's kinda fuzzy.

DirtyDeeds 05-15-2008 11:38 AM

I would start with 38 - 40lbs in the front and 34 - 36lbs in the back. If you can can them mounted early and put some miles on them, this will help with getting the tires scrubbed in which will make them stickier.

DirtyDeeds 05-15-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DognamedMack (Post 2128332)
not trying to start a fight but where 17's was not an option on normal foci would the 17" rim bump you out of stock class?

I know someone running STS and he told me when he put on 17's he was bumped to STS2.

Just another rule that's kinda fuzzy.

He has an SVT Focus which came with 17x7 wheels from the factory. The euro wheels he is planning to get were part of the Euro option package on the SVT, but are the exact same size and offset as the other SVT Focus wheels.

DognamedMack 05-15-2008 11:53 AM

You know. when I first read the heading i though it was H-stock. I just saw it actially says G-stock and SVT.

sorry my bad.