Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Koni settings (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158868)

Blurvfocus 05-04-2008 08:55 PM

Koni settings

Is anybody running adjustable koni's? What settings are you running? Can changing these settings help stop pushing? I'm at soft up front and half-hard out back, the car is pushing badly, and I'm wondering if changing these settings can help.

svtstu 05-04-2008 09:28 PM

I don't have the koni's, but you will want to go to half hard up front and full hard in the back to help with understeer. The softer the fronts and the harder the rears the less understeer you will have. If there isn't enough adjustability in the shocks to help then you might want to looking into a larger rear swaybar (or adding one if your car didn't come with one).

Dudes ZX3 05-05-2008 06:38 PM

It really all comes down to your over-all setup, driving style, course setup, etc.

I run stock sways, crappy tires, and AEM springs. The backs are about mid way I think, and the fronts I typically run almost full firm.

Blurvfocus 05-05-2008 09:11 PM

Two replies saying exactly opposite things! Thanks a lot! LOL

No, seriously, thanks for your replies.

It's just that I was hoping to dispense with the experimentation period and zoom to the exact correct settings right off the bat!

Dudes ZX3 05-06-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blurvfocus (Post 2113760)
...I was hoping to dispense with the experimentation period

Isn't that half the fun [rolleyes]
[driving] [wrenchin] [driving] [wrenchin] [driving] [wrenchin] [driving] [wrenchin]

WD40 05-06-2008 09:42 PM

What sort of courses do you run?
Tight? Open? Concrete? Ashpalt?

What springs and sways do you have?
What tires are you running?

There's TONS of variables to everyone's setup.
A little more info on what you're running would help a lot. [;)]

EDIT:
Just checked your profile...
So, you got Koni dampers and springs. [thumb]
IMHO, svtstu's answer is on the right track.
I don't have my notes from 2 weekends ago, but IIRC, I had the fronts at 1/2 turn from full stiff, and the rears at 1/4 turn from full stiff.
Remember though, I've also got a 22mm rear bar, -2° camber (LCR plates) up front, and -1.5° in the rear with adjustable arms.
I gotta tell ya, the back end of my car has never been so lively.
I could get it to come around extremely easy with a little trail braking or throttle lift oversteer.

Definitely crank your rears up a bit more at the next event. [driving]
You'll like it.

Blurvfocus 05-07-2008 06:32 PM

I have koni sport kits on all corners and neogens- I have another thread going about pressure for those.

Well, considering the first two replies, I set the back full hard and the front full soft, the idea being to try it, than reverse the settings and try it that way. (and btw, I didn't realize that I had them set half hard front and back) I only got to try it the first way, and that clearly seemed to fix it. But you can only tell so much by running circles in Office Max's parking lot. Of course, the cop was there within seconds, but he was cool, just that he thought I'd be better off waiting until the middle of the night when there were no cars cutting thru the lot. So I only got half of the test done, but enough to see that those adjustments can really make a big difference.

I'm chomping at the bit to run again in a few weeks, because I'm pretty sure that between this, and if I don't overdrive the thing like I think I might have been, I ought to do a lot better. Well, OK, a little better.