Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Front brake rotor install: special tool required? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157669)

Thin_J 04-23-2008 07:58 AM

Front brake rotor install: special tool required?

I have new rotors and pads sitting in my garage and I was all set to jack the car up and get everything replaced and ready to go this afternoon.

Then at work someone said the SVT Focus uses some brake parts from the Mustang and that I'd need to have some special tool to screw into the calipers to get the old rotors out and the new ones in.

I talked to another guy that has a mustang and he confirmed that his front calipers require some kind of tool to do any work on the rotors, but said he'd never heard anything about it being needed on the focus.

Anybody here have any clarification? I searched the forum here and couldn't find anything about replacing the front rotors on the SVT.

PDQEagle 04-23-2008 08:02 AM

Not familiar with the SVT, have an 03 ZX3. The slide bolts I believe are a 7mm allen rather than a hex bolt.

Thin_J 04-23-2008 08:11 AM

He described it as some kind of square bolt piece that you screwed into part of the caliper. I'd never heard of anything like it. If it's just an allen head I'm set.

sqrly 04-23-2008 08:27 AM

You can find it at any parts store just go into your local parts store tell them you need a special brake caliper tool and there are the kits that come with flat circle things that have either 1 pr 2 putruding posts or there is the square that has 8 different configurations. But I don't know the name of it but just go into any local parts store and there should be no prob getting this piece

egman2005 04-23-2008 09:01 AM

front needs nothing special to get the caliper back the rear is what screws back as you compress

nacnudv8 04-23-2008 05:12 PM

^^ agreed! having done all wheels on my SVT in the last two months.

Just carefully press the fronts in with a your hands (if strong) or a C-clamp. The rears need a special rotating clamp the turns and pushes - available from Auto Zone on thier (free) lona program.

ktwelsch 04-23-2008 05:25 PM

No special tools needed for the front

scrammer 04-23-2008 08:16 PM

no tools for the fronts

the special thing is for the rears.

SVT_Focused 04-23-2008 08:21 PM

This is probably a stupid question but its on the brakes subject. So my drivers side rear e-brake cable on the caliper is pulled tight even when the e-brake isn't pulled and the pads on it still have alot left on them. Can you adjust this or does it automaticly adjust?

scrammer 04-23-2008 09:12 PM

^^lol and [offtopic]
check the adjustment bolt on the side of the ebrake lever. you may have to remove the center console if yours has a retainer clip ontop of the nut.