Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   He Blew My Doors Off!! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154883)

SVTF200487 03-29-2008 01:50 AM

He Blew My Doors Off!!

Tonight I went to Pageland Jefferson Drag Strip in SC. I was having traction issues all night long, I pulled my abs fuse and tried to dial in my launch. So anyways on my 3rd run I lined up beside a new Jeep Grand Cherokee, I was thinking this would be a fairly easy race to win. Nope, this jeep literally blew my doors off. I've been spinning half way down the track getting terrible times (low 10's in the 1/8). He goes and lays down a 8.17, I was a little bit embarrassed. I mean this is a 5-6 thousand pound SUV handing me my ass.

killer ZETEC 03-29-2008 01:55 AM

well jeeps are all acceleeration and if he threw it in 4 high it'd be like racing a v6 talon with awd. btw did you try dropping a few psi in the front tires for a wider footprint and what tires are you running?

SVTF200487 03-29-2008 01:59 AM

No, didn't even check the psi. I have nexen? n3000, they came on the car when I bought it. He said his jeep was AWD, It's brand new 08. He had less than 5000 miles on it.

akmer 03-29-2008 02:51 AM

man i see jeep cheeroke goin down the track hittin low 15's

focikid89 03-29-2008 02:56 AM

Dang, is that a hemi. WWWOOOOOOOOWWWWEEEEEEEE.

Peregrine 03-29-2008 03:39 AM

Gotta figure in gearing ratios for trucks. That's where they're able to lay down all that power and turn it into usable torque numbers. Pray next time you run into a modified diesel pickup just running a Bullydog, Granatelli, or Hypertec flashpac. It could have 40" SuperSwampers on it, but it's still going haul ass.

BTW Killer...AWD V6 Talon???? They were AWD but also were 4 bangers- boosted and N/A.

akmer 03-29-2008 04:18 AM

what did the svt ended up at the track? what was ur time? was it just the 1/8

killer ZETEC 03-29-2008 07:20 AM

i was jsut throwing that one out there. (since the jeep wasnt boosted i figued itd be the best comparison. and i know the other models. too many people try to clone them.)
if its possible that you were running 30-35 psi i'd drop it down to about 25 or so, jsut to make the fooprint wider. oh and getting an lsd wont hurt. i know that sounds low but if you remember to pump it up after the night is out i think you might be ok. but then again my only drag expereince comes from a singlecam sunturd with 13"wheels of doom,lol.

Weldman0730 03-29-2008 08:34 AM

lol this reminds me of the constant "races"/ acceleration practice on a road with a bunch of stop lights about 100-200 meters in between one another(granted we never had the time to get up to the 55mph speed limit). When I was in my pick up, i proceeded to stomp almost everyone stop light to stop light, those 300 I6 engines have so much torque, especially mine with a new cam, exhaust, intake, bored 30 thousandths over, new fuel pump, ported intake, 3 angle valve job, ported and polished exhaust header, and a new clutch with rp oil in differential and tranny, and castrol syntec in the engine. I also had 33X12.5 mud tires on it and it still had some monster torque, i wish i would have dynoed that thing just to see what numbers i was working with.

yeah forget about racing a diesel with a bullydog module, all they have to do is get that bullydog with propane injection and they are instantly putting out like 500-600hp and who knows how much torque, but i can tell you its enough to rip stumps right out of the ground

horsePOOGAS 03-29-2008 08:42 AM

Eh thoughs trucks can have all the power they want and beat me in a straight line, they still can't touch me in twistys :-)

It's ALL about practice. I was really sad when i took my stock SVT at the time to our local drag strip...didn't beat one car but it was my first time actually dragging. hopefully this summer it'll be a better story!

Keep modding and practicing!