Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Drag race the ATX with Nitrous?! HELP?! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152303)

SquillyB 03-05-2008 11:48 PM

Drag race the ATX with Nitrous?! HELP?!

So I bought a Nitrous kit as some of you may know already. This question is for the guys/gals that are drag racing their atx with nitrous?

What to do about the vicious wheel spin until I can buy drag radials?

Any tips on getting down the track the fastest are what I'm looking for, ie. smaller pill set up, larger pill but only spray in __ gears, etc., etc..

Thanks in advance!

BTW, I am currently running a ZEX TPS switch but I also have a ZEX traction control switch to hook up still. When I tried to hook them both up it wouldn't work, did one default the other? The problem is I am waiting for a MSD tach driver so I can hook up the window switch portion and set the proper rpm's as I currently have no way of hooking up the rpm sensor wire to tell the switch when to open accuratly and when to close.

illinipo 03-05-2008 11:59 PM

You could get a track-only tune that doesnt let the trans shift until 5500rpm or so in each gear... cuz those bouts from 1st to 3rd due to wheelspin are no fun when the clock is ticking [?|]

I believe its as simple as changing the minimum shift mph in the shift schedule.

blackoutSVT 03-06-2008 12:00 AM

well i can give you some advice.. first off don't spray off the line. hit it about mid track you don't have a drag car per say the only time nitrous is good off the line is when you are running slicks. i would also be careful putting slicks on your focus with out changing out the Differential. could snap the one you got on it... if you are having trubble getting traction try heating your tires in the water trap if they will let you or bring a portable torch with you but if you go that rout be careful of that don't want to blow out your tire.lol the goal is to heat your tires up so they kinda melt a little so you will get better traction. but no need to lower the amount of nitrous you are using just don't spray off the ling and you should be gold.

SquillyB 03-07-2008 12:18 PM

Well tonight are the races so wish me luck. I won't spray first cause a couple people have said that so far in other threads. Man I wish I had a few more replies from other Nitrous racers.
Oh well..

besthaticouldo 03-07-2008 02:24 PM

can you not spray in first billy?

that would be my best guess...cuz if you wait til the middle or end of first to start spraying you might eliminate some

Xetchx 03-07-2008 02:59 PM

for a 5 speed it's simple, always purge at the light next, unless you can redline launch and not spin the tires NO N2O in first, secound gear is debatable it all depends on how many RPMs you have left in that gear after you shift. The idle spot would be bottom of third as soon as the RPMs start climbin steady spray it till just before redlne. shift reapeat

High oct gas will help too, say 100oct.

yes Billy I know I dont have spray on my Fofo, but my truck used to and it was a 5spd Auto.

oh yeah Drag radials will help but if your just gonna use them for the 1/4 mile track just get some slicks, small light wieght rims and upgrade the halfshafts.
Also not all drag racers LAUNCH there car, becasue they say it too hard on the car. So E/T is good but getting down the track afterward is still requiered. LOL

See ya tonight dude, oh and I wanna drive it LOL

SquillyB 03-08-2008 02:48 AM

^^^ all proven correct tonight except I can spray in second gear at the low to middle of the torque band and only spin a little bit. I'm thinking if I use the 75 I could wait a tick longer, more toward the middle'ish area and have no problem. Last time I tried though I spun them at about a 40 roll when it hit. Need to wait till closer to 45-50ish and the hammer in the 75 or the 100 shot till the beams.

SquillyB 03-08-2008 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by besthaticouldo (Post 2013731)
can you not spray in first billy?

that would be my best guess...cuz if you wait til the middle or end of first to start spraying you might eliminate some

I let the car shit itself with the O/D off aand due to the TPS switch when it shifts the voltage drops so it doesn't spray. Now I can leave the toggle off, run 1st, 2cnd up to about 3300-3500 rpm and THEN stand on it and throw the switch. However this gets me HUGE amounts of torque steer and I pee myself from the jolt up my spine.[burnout]
I have a ZEX traction control/window switch that will let me set the rpm to start spraying at as well as when to shut off. What I'm looking to get is the one that will stagger the spray and ramp it according to rpm's, thats the shizzle in my I's!! [deviltail]

SquillyB 03-09-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinipo (Post 2010844)
You could get a track-only tune that doesnt let the trans shift until 5500rpm or so in each gear... cuz those bouts from 1st to 3rd due to wheelspin are no fun when the clock is ticking [?|]

I believe its as simple as changing the minimum shift mph in the shift schedule.

I am considering a tune, some drag radials and other things. My question is in what order should I do them to be able to continue to race while modding. Also my current tune shifts at 7250 @ WOT unless you feather the pedal to force the shift or are manually shifting the gears yourself.

SquillyB 03-09-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackoutSVT (Post 2010847)
well i can give you some advice.. first off don't spray off the line. hit it about mid track I currently hit the switch at about 3500 in second gear you don't have a drag car per say the only time nitrous is good off the line is when you are running slicks. i would also be careful putting slicks on your focus with out changing out the Differential. could snap the one you got on it...How does this happen? if you are having trubble getting traction try heating your tires in the water trap if they will let you they let me but I have always found I can chirp them pretty good just to clean the dirt and dust off and get em' a little warmer and run quicker from the gate. The box sprays water up into the wheel wells that drips back down at the line causing excess spin or bring a portable torch with you but if you go that rout be careful of that don't want to blow out your tire.lol the goal is to heat your tires up so they kinda melt a little so you will get better traction. but no need to lower the amount of nitrous you are using just don't spray off the ling and you should be gold.

Thanks, I have a window switch I need to wire in soon, hope that helps