Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Faster Steering (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146039)

Blurvfocus 01-10-2008 07:57 PM

Faster Steering
 
Does anyone know a way to quicken the steering? Aftermarket steering racks? I thought about re-drilling the steering knuckles to make them in effect shorter, but I don't think I have the courage for that. Has anyone ever done that?

thisdude_05 01-10-2008 08:06 PM

Do push-ups and make your arms stronger.....

misfire 01-10-2008 08:12 PM

the best bet is to look for another rack

WeeAsp 01-17-2008 04:54 PM

Just curious, how much faster do you want it?

You could accomplish the same thing with grippier (is that a word?) tires or larger tires.

The turning response of the focus is really quite good.

To get a full appreciation, turn later into the apex. [thumb]

Blurvfocus 01-17-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeeAsp (Post 1926666)
Just curious, how much faster do you want it?

You could accomplish the same thing with grippier (is that a word?) tires or larger tires.

The turning response of the focus is really quite good.

To get a full appreciation, turn later into the apex. [thumb]

How much faster? I don't know- at some point I'm sure it would be too fast and you couldn't keep the thing on the road. I thought maybe there was some aftermarket rack or easy trick somebody knew about.

I put neogens on here and that's when I got this bright idea. In a series of tight turns, I almost feel like the tires could do more and do it faster if only I could steer faster. Does that sound wierd?

Maybe I could rosin the steering wheel. Or would that put me in a different class?!

SkaAddict 01-17-2008 07:38 PM

I'm pretty sure the SVT has a higher-ratio rack than a regular Focus, that might be something to look into...

WeeAsp 01-17-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkaAddict (Post 1926900)
I'm pretty sure the SVT has a higher-ratio rack than a regular Focus, that might be something to look into...

That's a good point. I would start there and that should satisfy the need.

Beyond that and things become a little unwiedly with a car as big (yes, I really said that) as a focus.

If it were something really lightweight, I don't think it would be as much of an issue.

WeeAsp 01-17-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blurvfocus (Post 1926883)
How much faster? I don't know- at some point I'm sure it would be too fast and you couldn't keep the thing on the road. I thought maybe there was some aftermarket rack or easy trick somebody knew about.

I put neogens on here and that's when I got this bright idea. In a series of tight turns, I almost feel like the tires could do more and do it faster if only I could steer faster. Does that sound wierd?

Maybe I could rosin the steering wheel. Or would that put me in a different class?!

Take it to an autocross and see how it does. That will give you a baseline.

From there, you can play with tire pressures. That will increase your turn in speed (increasing pressure) to a point. Once you reach the limit of adhesion, the car will handle worse.

So, finding the right balance is key.

If that seems to work, then consider an R-compound tire to carry to the next level.

Egz 01-17-2008 08:52 PM

You can also try 1/8" total toe out in the front alignment.

killer ZETEC 01-17-2008 09:25 PM

lol. or get a steering quickener dealy like a lot of rally cars have, but i have no idea where you's find one


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.