Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Semi-Metallic Pads (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145079)

jetrinka 01-02-2008 08:08 PM

Semi-Metallic Pads

Is it normal for a semi-metallic brake pad to have less initial bite than the OEM pad on our cars? I believe the OEM pads are an organic pad. I replaced the rotors and pads recently. The pads are from Monroe and the rotors are Motorcraft and it just seems like they don't bite as well initially. They are embedded now and have around 350 miles on them and the performance has gotten a little better. I have bled the system 3 times now using the old have an assistant push the pedal down and so on. I have a pressure bleeder on its way from Focussport to see if that helps at all and I have read that SS lines would help firm up the pedal a bit. They do seem to stop a lot better when heated up. I have done around three quick stops from 35 mph and they always stop well and engage the ABS so I have no doubt of their ability to stop the car. It is just annoying when going slow up to a stop sign or something and having this not stoppy feeling. I mean maybe I should ditch these pads and get something different.

And on that note if I did decide to replace them with something else should I have the new rotors shaved to rid them on the old material or does that matter? And as far as new pads go I dont care about dust or noise at all. I just want a pad that performs well under most circumstances. Any suggestions?

viney266 01-02-2008 08:20 PM

Well, all it takes is one small air bubble, but having bled them 3 times, you should have it clear by now...

I am a BIG fan of stainless lines. The pedal feel will improve by 10-20 % by installing them.

Geezer 01-02-2008 09:19 PM

I'm not belittling the Monroe's since I've never used them, but they're not very popular (or widely used). Raybestos, in my opinion, would have been a better selection, if cost is a concern. Axxis metalmasters are a very good semi metallic along with Mintex AF's which really don't cost a whole lot more than auto part store popular brands (Raybestos, etc.) and work a whole lot better.

jetrinka 01-02-2008 11:26 PM

hmmm alright. What do you guys think of EBC greenstuff? I was looking online at those and they seem ok. Or any kind of hawk pad? And should I turn the rotors?

blackfocus2k4 01-02-2008 11:51 PM

i would have to recommend ceramic pads they are awesome and that their is no brake dust wheel stays cleaner longer.

jetrinka 01-02-2008 11:55 PM

Well I don't really care how fast the wheel gets dirty. Just gives me a good excuse to wash it. I am interested in a pad that performs well under all circumstances. I don't want a racing pad or anything. Just something that will resist brake fade a little and feel strong in any situation. Maybe I should just go back to the OEM pads?

blackfocus2k4 01-03-2008 12:07 AM

i bought a set or cross drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads and they are awesome they grip like nothing other.they are the best bang for your buck!

goinloco1 01-03-2008 12:07 AM

ceramic pads will outlast, out stop, and have alot less brake fade.
after running regular pads and ceramics in mountain driving, the ceramics flat out out performed the semi metallic hands down.
one other thing i've noticed with the ceramics is the rotors dont groove like they do with other pads.
and no brake dust...lol

blackfocus2k4 01-03-2008 12:11 AM

thank you for the reassurance i tried telling him but he wouldnt listen;) i love them wont get anything else!!!

jetrinka 01-03-2008 12:29 AM

ha sorry. What brand ceramics are you guys running?