Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Damn Key is Stuck! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13840)

Focusedat50 05-10-2004 10:40 AM

Damn Key is Stuck!

Got home Friday pulled in the garage, turn off the ignition and went to pull out the key but it won't budge. Ignition turns off, the damn key just won't come out! My neighbor who is a mechanic at the local Ford dealership looked at it and said "Oh yea, we replace those all the time, it's a pretty common problem with the Focus". He tells me they will have to cut the key in order to get the tumbler out, then it's a new tumbler and new keys. It's under warranty and at the dealership this morning but what a pain in the butt......anyone else heard of or had this problem before.

S2 05-10-2004 10:46 AM

I have had the key jam in the ignition but all I had to do is pull the steering wheel to one side (usually the right) and hold it there (where it hits the steering wheel lock thing when the key is out, you know how you can't turn the steering wheel when you don't have the key in) and then turn the key and it would come out. I figured it has something to do with the locking mechanism for the steering column. Never heard of having to get the key cut off and things like that. Lucky that didn't happen to you out in booniesville.....

drewzx3 05-10-2004 10:48 AM

Your friend at the dealership is right about being a common problem.

CKA 05-10-2004 10:51 AM

Had the same prob, but I played around with it, like moving the wheel and shifter around. Then moved the key around and it came out. Only time it happened, my shift knob gets stuck too. That one gets stuck too much, it's annoying.

Focusedat50 05-10-2004 10:54 AM

Yea, I messed with it for a while, tried moving and jiggling everthing possible and no luck.
That sucker is stuck. Finally got feed up with it, had better things to do.

KoRnGtL15 05-10-2004 12:18 PM

Re: Damn Key is Stuck!

Quote:

Originally posted by Focusedat50
Got home Friday pulled in the garage, turn off the ignition and went to pull out the key but it won't budge. Ignition turns off, the damn key just won't come out! My neighbor who is a mechanic at the local Ford dealership looked at it and said "Oh yea, we replace those all the time, it's a pretty common problem with the Focus". He tells me they will have to cut the key in order to get the tumbler out, then it's a new tumbler and new keys. It's under warranty and at the dealership this morning but what a pain in the butt......anyone else heard of or had this problem before.
Imagine being on vacation and this happening to you. [?|]

Focusedat50 05-10-2004 12:56 PM

Actually my biggest fear all weekend was that I would go somewhere and all someone would have to do is notice that the key was in the ignition, break my window and off they would go.

CKA 05-10-2004 12:57 PM

Why did u not cover it?? Like with some rag or a suncover, kinda like make it seem like the suncover fell over?? I don't know, would make me paranoid too.

Focusedat50 05-10-2004 01:12 PM

Yeah, I did just that. Had an old t-shirt I threw across the steering wheel but came back once and it had slipped off. Oh well, it's being fixed.

fokuzsport 05-10-2004 01:54 PM

sorry about your problem, i wish my nieghbor was a friend that worked as a ford tech. that would be cool.. lol i would be knocking on his door everyday about something... lol