Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Motivational Racing Quotes (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124837)

WeeAsp 06-13-2007 02:30 PM

Motivational Racing Quotes

A lot of us are either in full swing with our racing seasons or are just begining them. Some of us are rookies, occasional enthusiasts or grizzled veterans.

One thing is for sure. Go racing and it doesn't take long before your hair goes a little grayer and your fangs get long. Why? One reason. You do this because you enjoy the thrill of doing something unique and you probably hate to lose.

So, last night, I was poking around on the web looking for quotes (I love them) and I thought that I would throw in some favorites about racing. Some funny, some not, all have a message.

Feel free to contribute. I would like to keep this going for a while.

"We all know the guy who sits at the end of the local bar telling the story of how he threw the winning touchdown pass in High School. I don't want to be that guy. Racing gives us all the chance to be athletes again."
- Don Panoz

“I love this kind of racing, (but) these guys sure change their personalities in race mode. They’re like Doberman pinschers with a hand grenade in their mouths.”
- road racer Boris Said speaking of NEXTEL Cup drivers.

"To finish first, you must first finish."
- Rick Mears

"The crashes people remember, but drivers remember the near misses."
- Mario Andretti

"We drove for the sheer fun of driving because there wasn't that much money to be made."
- Richard Petty

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
- Dale Earnhardt Sr.

"I make jokes about the fact that as a neuro-surgeon I shouldn't be required at a motor race because the drivers don't have any brains.... otherwise they wouldn't race."
- Syd Watkins - Formula One Chief Medical Officer

"Dear Lord baby Jesus, we thank you so much for this bountiful harvest of Dominos, KFC and the always delicious Taco Bell. I just want to take time to say thank you for my family. My two sons, Walker and Texas Ranger, or TR as we call him. And of course my red hot smokin' wife, Carley, who is a stone cold fox."
- Ricky Bobby saying grace in "Talladega Nights"

"I feel safer on a racetrack than I do on Houston's freeways."
- A.J. Foyt

"Racing is a matter of spirit not strength."
- Janet Guthrie

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."
- Dale Earnhardt Sr.

" Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway

"When speed gets in the blood, one must drive to live."
- Rudolf Caracciola

"When you shift the gear and that little needle on the tach goes into the red and reads 9,000 rpm, that's bad."
- Robert DuVall (Days of Thunder)

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
- Steve McQueen

"I watched the Indy 500, and I was thinking that if they left earlier they wouldn't have to go so fast."
- Steven Wright (Comedian)

"During a race, it's like I become a machine and the machine becomes a man. I talk to my cars, baby them, shout at them, praise them."
- Cale Yarborough

"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
- Mario Andretti

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

"Good morning Dick Johnson, what is it like out there?" "Mate i'm busier than a dog trying to bury a bone in a marble floor"
- Radio exchange between Neil Crompton (TV Analyst) and Dick Johnson (Rally Driver)

"It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down."
- Paul Newman

"Gentlemen, start your engines!"
- Tony Hulman

[race]

b16sir1991 06-13-2007 02:40 PM

I like mine,

WeeAsp 06-13-2007 02:43 PM

^^^^ +1 for Mike

Can't forget this one either-

"Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier..."
- Carrera26

b16sir1991 06-13-2007 02:47 PM

I think Doug (WD40) has a couple.

WD40 06-13-2007 03:08 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I can't think of that many off-hand.

Hmmm...maybe a few racing movie quotes...

From Cannonball Run:
If you're going to be a bear...be a Grizzly Bear!

From Stroker Ace:
2nd place sucks.
How'd you like to drive with these chicken feet on?!

From Days of Thunder:
I watch ESPN...they have great coverage
Why don't you hit the pace car? It's the only one you haven't run into today!

From Benny Parsons some years ago on ESPN if I recall correctly:
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.

CrazyMatt 06-13-2007 03:10 PM

Awesome quotes.

eventerke 06-13-2007 03:39 PM

From Gumball Rally:
"The first rule of Italian Driving - what's behind you is not important!"

b16sir1991 06-13-2007 03:50 PM

I know theres a couple from "Cars" but im having a brain fart right now, lol.

b16sir1991 06-13-2007 03:51 PM

F&F:
"Doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning"

fallacious_focus 06-13-2007 08:58 PM

from another member's signature:
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague desire for something salty..." - Peter Egan