Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   This weekends autoX in the mighty focus! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124657)

focusedaddiction 06-11-2007 10:38 PM

This weekends autoX in the mighty focus!

this is my second fastest run of the day, I was so excited i forgot to tape my last and fastest run..LOL! sooo much fun it's scary..[thumb]
finished at 49.103 seconds.....I believe just 4ish seconds behind fast time of day(46.something)WOW!! I'll check when the results post up.
now .... on to the video.[race]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...nhi/th_2nd.jpg

cfol77 06-11-2007 10:47 PM

Good job. great vid.

WeeAsp 06-12-2007 09:29 AM

Nice run!

Just curious, what tires are you running?

eventerke 06-12-2007 09:54 AM

Great run! That venue looks pretty tight - are the walls and jersey barriers as close as they look in the video?

focusedaddiction 06-12-2007 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeeAsp (Post 1623461)
Nice run!

Just curious, what tires are you running?

Nitto NT-01's ( my first set of "R" compounds) , they have incredible turn in and stick like glue. I'm already saving to get another set for next year[thumb]

Quote:

Originally Posted by eventerke (Post 1623461)
Great run! That venue looks pretty tight - are the walls and jersey barriers as close as they look in the video?

not as close as they look, but would rather they weren't there.lol yah it was a tight coarse, only got up to around 60ish mph. next month we get to run on the base taxi way....lots more room to open her up[;)]

WeeAsp 06-12-2007 10:51 AM

Interesting....

I didn't know that Nitto made an AX tire. I thought they only did drag radials.

Can I ask how much they were?

I run Hoosiers and Kuhmo primarily. Always looking for a less expensive alternative. I've run Toyos before and while they last, they don't seem to have the lateral response needed for AX. However, Toyos are great in the rain.

focusedaddiction 06-12-2007 10:57 AM

205-50-15's $135.00 through disc. tire direct. they are actually road race tires for track days & time trials that also work pretty good in autoX. treadwear of 100!
I hope to make a track day b4 summer is over[race]

WeeAsp 06-12-2007 11:01 AM

Interesting...

Not a bad price either. I'll be curious to see if they show up at some of our local events.

My problem is that I am strapped to a 17 inch wheel and therefore, the price goes up.

I am doing the same thing. I am using the Hoosier R6 road race tire. Slightly different compound, but I wanted the added durability (albeit not much - given the compound is very similar) and hopefully, get 2 seasons out of a set.

NikiterZTS 06-12-2007 12:25 PM

wow that was cool....really wanna try

i know this quastion has been asked 25434654657 times....but what is the ultimate good size of rims and tires for some autoX? 15"? 205/50?

WeeAsp 06-12-2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiterZTS (Post 1623676)
wow that was cool....really wanna try

i know this quastion has been asked 25434654657 times....but what is the ultimate good size of rims and tires for some autoX? 15"? 205/50?

For starters....run what you brung.

You are used to the way the car behaves now and it will provide you with a baseline. Change tires and wheels out for your first AX and the car will handle like a completely different animal. So much so that you will wonder why you ever spent $1200+

So, get out with what you have. Don't worry about being fast or competitive. Get out, try it and have fun. The worst thing you can do is to drop a ton of money expecting to be competitive and come away disappointed.

You'll have a lot of support at these events as a novice. No one will treat you like a Leper. They'll have lots and lots of advice - listen to them. Get a few events under your belt and decide if this is something you really WANT to do, not just "try". Then think about investing in new rubber and tires.