Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Rear Camber Bolt Install (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124590)

eurotrashvrt 06-11-2007 01:02 PM

Rear Camber Bolt Install

Alright, have been lazy to do this, and I paid dearly with my rear tires being eaten away at an extremely fast pace. My rear camber is at the -2.3 mark and basically the limit, but its not acceptable at all.

What I would like to know is what is a good setting to put the rear camber at, and the same with the front as I have front and rear kits.

Second question would, is there a write up on the install for these rear bolts, because I havent found anything definitive searching. The instructions I remember said something about cutting going on, dont know what that is about, but would just like to take care of the issue before I slap another set of rear tires.

My front camber I believe is at -1.8 or so and was wondering the same questions as with the rear.

Also what would be a good mark to have for autocross application as I could switch between the street and track settings. Thanks for your help.

Ill make sure to make a picture post on the install so we can put it in the "How To"

greg

outafocus03 06-11-2007 01:08 PM

pretty easy install. (working from memory about 3 years ago) The bolt that you remove to replace with the camber bolt has a nut on the back side of it. The nut is welded to the suspension. You will need to cut the welds with a cut off wheel or die grinder then you can smack the nut with a hammer to break it off the rest of the way. Grind down any residual welds left on the suspension then replace the new bolt in the hole. Setting the camber with the new bolts is pretty much guess work if you're doing it yourself. There is a lobe on the bolt that controls the camber adjustment.

GaryS 06-11-2007 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eurotrashvrt (Post 1622171)
Second question would, is there a write up on the install for these rear bolts, because I havent found anything definitive searching.

Huh? You must have given up too soon if you didn't find this.

eurotrashvrt 06-11-2007 03:30 PM

I guess I did, you are the equivilant of god, thanks.

eurotrashvrt 06-11-2007 03:45 PM

dpin;re

Geezer 06-11-2007 04:00 PM

While every car will be different, turn the camber bolts toward the center of the car. There is an arrow on the bolt head. Set it at about a 45 degree angle pointing upward. (1:30 or 10:30 poistion depending whether you inserted the bolt from the front or rear of the upper control arm bolt hole). This was the position that gave us about 1.3 degrees of negative chamber. Then get over to the alignment rack and make sure to tell them you installed the bolts. I went out and actually showed them where they were. I also painted the arrows bright yellow so they couldn't miss them. I recommend not more than -1.5 degrees of camber and keeping rear toe to the minimum allowable.