Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   looking for an autox race (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122561)

ilovemyzx3 05-22-2007 11:05 AM

looking for an autox race

does anyone know where i can find a schedule or something, because i am very interested in atleast going to watch a few, if not competing.

what all do i need equipment wise?

NikiterZTS 05-22-2007 11:14 AM

yea, im looking for some as well.....down in canada though.....ontario

eventerke 05-22-2007 11:37 AM

Go to www.myautoevents.com - good place to start.

Also start at the SCCA site (www.scca.org) and find a local chapter. Another good organization is NASA (www.nasaproracing.com)

Good luck - prepare to be addicted!

eventerke 05-22-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemyzx3 (Post 1593959)
what all do i need equipment wise?

Most clubs have loaner helmets. You'll want some way to raise your tire pressures around 10psi, so maybe an air tank or 12v compressor and good dial-type tire gauge (no guarantee someone there will have air to spare).
Don't pump them up before you drive there - pressures that high are not safe on the street, and make sure to drop them back down before you leave. I put my valve caps in my pocket to remind me.

Chalk or white shoe polish can be used to mark the tires and make sure you're not rolling too far onto the sidewall (make 3-4 marks on the sidewall up onto the tread).

Ask questions!!! I haven't found a club that wasn't full of helpful people - let them know you're a novice and they'll help with the course walk and any other questions you may have. Get a more experienced driver to ride with you if at all possible, and ride along as a passenger too if you can.

Have fun + be safe - those are the 2 most important things to remember. [driving] [race]

Dcl2049 05-22-2007 11:48 AM

You shouldn't have much trouble finding one in Ohio. IIRC the SCCA is pretty big out there. I think I have seen it on myautoevents so make sure to check that out. Also as far as equipment, you need a helmet if you don't want a sweaty loaner, I would go and get a SNELL RATED M2005 helmet so you can use it for a long time, but they allow M2000 as well, maybe some others, I don't really recall. They probably won't let you race with a DOT helmet if they check out that stuff regularly.

ilovemyzx3 05-22-2007 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eventerke (Post 1594001)

Good luck - prepare to be addicted!

haha yeah, i just want something fun, and legal to do where i know i do not need a ton of mods to my car.

plumcrazy 05-22-2007 07:34 PM

finding a auto x

Try myautoEvents.com They list all types of racing all over the country. Right now they list 328 auto-x's.

BackNBlackSVT 05-22-2007 08:18 PM

I was looking for a post like this, thanks for the link. I found my next one to go to on the 27th of May thats very close on the site. I doubt I'll drive but watching is just as fun. I am preparing my car though to auto x but raising fundage is tight right now, probably I'll be ready next season.

tua03332 05-22-2007 09:03 PM

just google chicago autocross....you dont need to own a bmw to race one....as for watching, dont bother, if you are interested in checking it out safe urself some wasted time and just race, your first race you should just show up bonestock and learn the ropes, then gradually prepare your car. IMO its the most addicting thing you can do thats actually legal. once again, dont watch, at least ask for a few ride alongs.

BackNBlackSVT 05-23-2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tua03332 (Post 1594698)
. once again, dont watch, at least ask for a few ride alongs.

Well I'm hoping to get to that point but I hoping to meet people and get more information on how it all works out. I need tires number one and dont feel like risking running on what I have on there now. There are light poles in the lot with cement bases also gravel on the west side of the lot. I wouldnt mind getting a ride but I dont know any of the drivers. I'm sure someone might let me ride along but I'd be hesitant to let strangers in my car so we'll see. No rush for me anyways.