Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Racing Seat Reviews (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121767)

miniboon 05-14-2007 04:20 PM

Racing Seat Reviews

I'm looking to step up my drivers seat from the stock SVT seat to something a little more supportive. Someone near me is selling a Sparco Fighter seat, and the price is reasonable compared to the retail price. Any reviews of these seats? Does anyone have them? Has anyone had them and hated them? If you have a particular seat that you love, let me know!! I'm open to any seat suggestions, but please give me reasons, don't just say "such and such sucks" and not tell me why it sucks.

WeeAsp 05-14-2007 05:36 PM

It's really not an easy question to answer.

A lot goes into the decision beyond price and "support".

I personally like SPARCO and KIRKEY (their new road race edition is pretty sweet).

That said, before you make a decision, you should really sit in one that is mounted first.

What you should really ask yourself is why do I need it? Are you an AX driver that could benefit from more support? Do you go to track events where the seat can hold you better in the harnesses? Is it for the cool factor?

Some seats have a lot of lateral support, but are extremely narrow. If you are of small to medium build, that may not be an issue for you. However, if you are a little "wide of carriage", then it may feel pretty good for the first 5 minutes you sit in it, but do you want to be stuck in traffic?

If it is for the cool factor, then you will want adjustability. Most race seats don't offer that. They are designed to be in the same position all the time. Is someone else going to drive the car? If so, will they be able to reach the pedals and controls given a static seating position.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but those are some questions to think about...

b16sir1991 05-14-2007 05:38 PM

Sparco and Recaro are some of the best you can buy. Momo is as well. But theres cheaper seats out there that do a really good job. If you can buy a real Sparco thats relatively cheap, go for it.

miniboon 05-15-2007 08:31 AM

WeeAsp, I'm starting to AX, and my SVT seat with the 3 point harness left me bracing against the side of the car with my knees, and working hard to stay in the seat.....hence the need for support. All of your advice is exactly what I needed. Thanks

WeeAsp 05-15-2007 09:24 AM

I feel your pain. [thumb]

You may also want to contact the folks at OG Racing for their opinions on seats. Bounce off of them the one you are looking at and get their opinion. I say this because it may be discontinued or for advice on how to mount the seats.

Ask for Brian Hair or Matthew Yip. Tell them Tom Newman referred you.

Good luck.

miniboon 05-15-2007 09:25 AM

I know you say your SVT is stock, but have you upgraded your seats at all? If not, how do you deal with it?

WeeAsp 05-15-2007 09:38 AM

The car is basically stock. Only mods are K&N filter unit and a Clutchmaster Stage 3 clutch. All allowable in GS.

As for the seat question.

A lot of it is seating position. For me, the stock seats are great for most applications, but on courses where I am really busy in the cockpit, I do slide a bit, but not much.

I've always been taught that your seat should be close enough to the wheel where when you sit you can extend your arms to the point where they are slightly bent with your wrists (base of your hand) resting on top of the steering wheel.

Legs should be close enough where your knees are slightly bent, but not touching the bottom of the dash.

Seat back angle should only be enough to take the stress off of your shoulders.

That's the position that I use and it seems to work well. I am less fatigued during regular driving and in AX. The side bolsters on the stock seats seem to hold pretty well using this.

Good luck!

SVTFOOCUS 05-28-2007 09:43 AM

Theres a company named "Hunsaker" that makes mostly off-road stuff I think but they do have a pair of street/car seats. There pretty nice one's, and have holes to accomidate a 5 point harness. There look pretty good on the supportive sides also, they are adjustable. They come in pairs, and are somewhere around 400.00, and they come with universal brackets. Anyway, just another option for you.

eventerke 06-01-2007 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miniboon (Post 1584562)
WeeAsp, I'm starting to AX, and my SVT seat with the 3 point harness left me bracing against the side of the car with my knees, and working hard to stay in the seat.....hence the need for support. All of your advice is exactly what I needed. Thanks

Look into a Schroth harness - I picked up one from a local club member for only $80, but they're only $160 or thereabouts new. The Rallye 4 I know fits, and once adjusted it holds you in place like you would not believe.
Soloracer.com and saferacer.com both list them.
I'll get pics of mine in my car and show you how it is mounted.

PapoSwing 06-02-2007 12:17 AM

any idea on weight specs?