Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   120 mph limit???? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120079)

hughesart 04-28-2007 10:25 PM

120 mph limit????

Hey whats up with the limiter cutting in at 120 mph on the ST???[dunno]
there seems to be plenty of revs left on the tach to maybe hit 130.

I am also confused about the traction control...is the traction control on when the light in the dash cluster is on, or is the traction control off when the light in the cluster is on???
Please help a dufus out! I have 1k on my new 07ST and love it and want to love it more!

croto5000 04-28-2007 10:42 PM

if you push and hold your traction control button, the light in your cluster will come on indefinitely. This means you have it disabled. If your tires start to slip when accelerating too fast (assuming you don't have it disabled), you'll see the icon blink 3 or 4 times, indicating it's engaging.

As far as the speed limiter, get a tune. I believe an sct can wipe that for ya. Why in the hell you'd need to go that fast is your own business, but that should do the trick.

wickedgreyzx3 04-29-2007 12:45 AM

well first off you shouldn't be going that fast unless you have at LEAST H rated tires.... GOD I..!!PEOPLE!!

2nd, at 120mph everything happenstwice as fast as it does at 60, and takes approximately 4 times longer to react and stopping distances are increased by about 8-10times

3rd if you get pulled over doing 120mph you will be taken to jail and probably loose your license

gottaride28 04-29-2007 01:11 AM

i can see it now, what this thread is going to turn into... there's so many of them,

but yeah thats retarted that your going that fast, no reason for that, the only place you should see how fast you can go is at the 1/4 mile track, there's no reason to see what your top speed is anywhere else.

but to answer your question, get an xcal2

Duffman355 04-29-2007 01:11 AM

yeah dude, copnsider yourself lucky, the ST is the fastest focus of the current bunch. the S moodels are cut off at 99 or 108, I can't remember. The car won't do more than 130 stock I believe if it wasn't limited to 120. A tune will get rid of the 120 top limit. I think the stock tires are only rated for 130 anyway. I have ZR tires, so I odn't care.

Duffman355 04-29-2007 01:13 AM

Oh and on the tcs thing, you can't turn it completely off. It is a dual stage tracton control system which activates itself under 25 mph anyway. A tune can also take care of this problem

wickedgreyzx3 04-29-2007 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman355 (Post 1560803)
yeah dude, copnsider yourself lucky, the ST is the fastest focus of the current bunch. the S moodels are cut off at 99 or 108, I can't remember. The car won't do more than 130 stock I believe if it wasn't limited to 120. A tune will get rid of the 120 top limit. I think the stock tires are only rated for 130 anyway. I have ZR tires, so I odn't care.

On the S,SE,SES models they are T rated tires, good for 120

prolly same for the ST

H rated tires 4 lyf3

hughesart 04-29-2007 01:54 AM

Thanks for all the info! very helpful to this newbe. think I'll check into a tune just to eliminate the traction control.
OEM tires on ST are P6 Pirelli...at least on mine...not a great tire but H rated.

Hey wickedgrey, if I wanted that kind of scolding I would call my mom... she and gottaride know I'm retarded.

netdrgoon 04-29-2007 08:02 AM

If you are seeing that sort of speed in the quarter, then by all means..lol!

There are places you can do it safely. Tires are easy though, I would be more concerned with brakes. Try doing a 120mph+-0 a few times and see how the stock brakes like it. EBC red stuff + rotors FTW (add in a high temp fluid).

bryfsvt 04-29-2007 08:10 AM

Well first off, why in the world when your car is brand new with 1k miles on it pushin it to 120 anyways. talk about car abuse.

If you want real power and fast with no limit see below... \/