Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Cheap(er) Autox Tires (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119956)

Erik508 04-27-2007 01:19 PM

Cheap(er) Autox Tires

So I sold my miata and am planning to autox the focus this year. It's an '02 ZTS. I had R's for the miata, and REALLY liked them. However, I'm a casual auto-crosser, just in it for some fun- not sure I like the expense of new R's every couple of years. 16" V710s are $200 a piece!

However, tires add so much to the autox experience, I need to do something. I was thinking about some RT-615s, possibly dropping to a 15" wheel size. Any problems with dropping a size? Would I be crazy to try and run RT-615s on steelies? Any comments/advice?

I don't care about classing, I plan to ignore the timing board this season ;-)

WeeAsp 04-27-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik508 (Post 1558714)
So I sold my miata and am planning to autox the focus this year. It's an '02 ZTS. I had R's for the miata, and REALLY liked them. However, I'm a casual auto-crosser, just in it for some fun- not sure I like the expense of new R's every couple of years. 16" V710s are $200 a piece!

However, tires add so much to the autox experience, I need to do something. I was thinking about some RT-615s, possibly dropping to a 15" wheel size. Any problems with dropping a size? Would I be crazy to try and run RT-615s on steelies? Any comments/advice?

I don't care about classing, I plan to ignore the timing board this season ;-)

I would advise against it. In all liklihood, you wouldn't make it through tech either.

The best bang for the buck IMHO is the Toyo Proxes RA1. 15's run anywhere from the $120 - $160 range.

I ran them for years before switching to Hoosier.

You could easily get 3 seasons on a set. The downside is that they tend to "slide and grab". So, you would have to adjust your driving style a little over the V710.

You may also want to check eBay. A lot of folks will post scuffs for sale, but I think you would have trouble finding a 15 inch tire.

Good luck!

WeeAsp 04-27-2007 01:43 PM

Apologies. When you said steelies, I thought you meant cords showing on the tires. I just realized you meant steel wheels.

So, go for it, but I don't have any experience with the 615 tire.

Egz 04-27-2007 01:51 PM

If you want cheap R-compounds, go to the local track. Often, racers will be getting rid of one-session R-compounds for cheap, or sometimes free. You can easily get an entire season out of them, since they are only partly worn.

If you go down to a 15" wheel, skip the steels and try to find a set of the OEM 16-spoke wheels. They will weigh far less than the steelies.

tua03332 04-27-2007 01:58 PM

I am a college student on a tight budget and i found actually downgrading to 14inchers and running the RT615s worthwhile, great traction dry or wet, less rotational mass, better gearing, and because of the smaller size, the tires are i believe just over $100 per tire. As for the wheel issue, if you can afford something light weight but still strong go for it.

Erik508 04-27-2007 06:56 PM

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tua03332 (Post 1558775)
I am a college student on a tight budget and i found actually downgrading to 14inchers and running the RT615s worthwhile, great traction dry or wet, less rotational mass, better gearing, and because of the smaller size, the tires are i believe just over $100 per tire. As for the wheel issue, if you can afford something light weight but still strong go for it.

This is interesting. Any problems getting 14"s to fit? Where did you pick up your wheels?

thenorm 04-27-2007 07:09 PM

i ran on 15" stock OEM wheels and 205/50R15 V710's for a while. and soon i will be running 225/45R15 v710s, so 15" tires are not hard to find.

PARKINGLOT 04-28-2007 04:58 AM

how long can you expect a set of 615's to last street driving and some auto-xing?

SuperFlea 04-28-2007 10:56 AM

They actually last a good while. I had a set of 14" steelies with falken azenis tires, dorve on them for a while after i bought them used from another member, and sold them to another person in still mint great condition. It also depends on how many Auto-X events you attend on them.

PARKINGLOT 04-29-2007 02:46 AM

okay, that about sells me on the rt-615's. I'm in need of tires soon (got to do the suspension then get it aligned first) and I'm trying to find a good tire. I plan on making some dragstrip runs as well as probably auto-x runs....