Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Oil cach can

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Roadworthy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I'm looking for some input on oil catch cans.

I used to run one with check valve by boomba for my SRT and I have the jbr on my st3 and I want to run one on my Daily focus. I wanted to know if anyone knows a good spot to mount one and what the pressure is in the pcv line so I can order a proper rated check valve?

#3 ·
I've found it more beneficial to use an engine lubricant with super low NOACK volatility. This coming from a guy who has used catch cans on his high horsepower cars for years.

#4 ·
@thehun He owns both an SE and an ST (Turbo variant). A "catch can" is typically used on turbo cars to catch vapors and I guess oil mist that are emitted from the PCV valve/crankcase into the catch can where it further condenses the gases (this condensing traps the left over oil and other good stuff in the catch can rather then it going back into the intake to get burned off). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I was told/learned they did.

#5 ·
Yup I used to run one on my Speed6. They are great buuuuuut there are some things to consider:

There was a big overhaul to the valve cover design for the Mazdaspeed3 to make the valve cover breather tube closer to the turbo inlet pipe to increase pressure, evacuation. A lot of users were burning oil at idle due to improper manifold pressure, issues with turbo oil seals causing the car to suck up more oil in the intake path and also for oil to get past the turbo and get burnt in the exhaust.

Ideally, if you could put an OCC inline and not mess with the pressure you'd be golden. Not a bad idea but there has been a lot of man hours to make sure the car non boosted performs properly in relation with the pcv valve and valve cover breather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.